thirteen

[september]

"Hello! Please, come in, come in!" standing at the open door, Mrs. Kim motioned to the interior of the home.

The entertainer was already suited up and carrying a bag of candies under their arm.

Bowing, they entered, making sure they could squeeze through the doorway in the rather large costume.

"I'm so glad you could make it on such short notice! Here, let me show you around."

-

"This is the backyard. I think the children will be out here most of the time as there's more space to run around. The parents-"

"Oh wow! Kumamon!" Mrs. Kim and 'Kumamon' turned to see Taehyung walking over with a boxy smile on his face.

"Ah, this is one of my sons, Taehyung."

"Hi!" The boy waved excitedly and bowed, Kumamon returning the gesture. "If you need anything, let me know!" Taehyung said chirpily.

"Hey, Mom? Do you have another pair of scissors? I broke-oh hello."

Namjoon rounded the corner holding the cutting tool in two pieces, but stopped, noticing the large costumed character.

Quickly setting the scissors on a table nearby, he wiped his palms on his pants before bowing and holding a hand out for the character to shake.

"Hi, I'm Kim Namjoon, the birthday boy's father. Thanks for coming on such short notice."

The entertainer looked at the teenager's outstretched hand for a solid five seconds before looking up at him.

Namjoon then realized they probably couldn't shake hands inside the costume.

"Oh, my bad. Haha," the boy quickly retracted his hand, opting for another bow instead.

Mrs. Kim cleared her throat.

"Well yes, um this is my oldest son, Namjoon. If you need help, please don't hesitate to ask these two. Is there anything you need to set up or...?" the entertainer merely shook their head, when the doorbell rang.

Out of nowhere, another teenage boy with brown hair came around the side holding a toddler, presumably the birthday boy. Mrs. Kim mumbled to Namjoon about greeting the guests before he walked inside the house.

"Kuma-mon!" the little boy squealed.

'Kumamon' quickly got into character, gesturing wildly and kneeling on the ground, arms open wide for the little boy.

Sure enough, the minute the teenager set Young-Jae down, he was off, running at the bear.

-

Soon enough, the party was in full swing.

Kids were having a blast playing with Kumamon, while the adults mingled and chatted with one another.

Taehyung, Namjoon, and Jackson tried to be respectful, splitting their time between Young-Jae and greeting parents with Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

Understandably so, Namjoon was still paranoid about others finding out how young he was, but so far, he'd only gotten a few questioning looks from some parents.

To be fair, since the kids were mostly from Young-Jae's daycare, most of the adults were young, new parents, and Namjoon looked mature for his age. For all they knew, he could've just looked very youthful.

It didn't stop the father from tensing slightly anytime Young-Jae called out his name, but he was just happy to get through most of the party without much judgment.