thirty four

[january]

He couldn't believe he was doing it.

Was this really happening?

He was a nervous wreck, and he thought he was sweating.

But maybe the room was just warm?

It had been years, would he even remember what he was supposed to do?

A hand slapped his back, Yoongi's to be exact.

"Guys, listen up! We have a new member!" the captain nudged Namjoon as if to tell him that was his cue to speak.

"Oh, u-um. Hello, I'm Kim Namjoon and I used to play at my old school. I was a post. Please take care of me," he finished with a bow.

It was an average-sized team with just about twenty-five players. Namjoon had seen many of them in his classes, but he hadn't really talked to many people besides his five friends and Taehyung.

Scanning the group, many gave him courteous nods, a few had confused looks. His eyes landed on Jeongguk, who smiled widely at him, giving him a thumbs up.

Yoongi cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention.

"Now I know it's late in the season, but due to medical reasons, Namjoon was not allowed to play until recently. I've checked with his old coach to make sure he's qualified, so you can stop giving me those stupid looks."

Yes, that was the lie the two of them had come up with, of course with approval from the coach. They thought it best to just explain it that way so as not to draw attention to Namjoon.

"Now," Yoongi had a basketball resting on his hip. "Help him through the drills, show him what's happening, and be ready in five minutes for warm-ups." the blonde blew a whistle and everyone seemed to relax.

Namjoon awkwardly greeted a few players that came up to talk to him, smiling and nodding as they asked him questions about what school he used to go to, who were his favorite players, and more.

Of course, some people had walked off after Yoongi was done, still skeptical of Namjoon's capability. Jeongguk swooped in soon after to explain a few of the drills they usually did at the beginning of practice.

"Jeongguk, I haven't even exercised in a while..." Namjoon mumbled, as the younger slung his arm over Namjoon's shoulder, "I don't know what kind of shape I'm in."

"I think you'll be fine, Hyung. You're actually lucky because today is a light day," Jeongguk smiled, leading the boy over to one side of the court.

Everyone was starting to line up on the baseline, a few were stretching their limbs, and running in place.

"Hey, Namjoon, right?" a boy to his right smiled, slapping his hand on Namjoon's arm. "I'm Jong-in, but everyone calls me Kai."

The boy, shocked at first, simply nodded, before smiling a little. "Uh, yeah, hey."

Kai laughed a little, as he proceeded to stretch, "You said you played post? Any other positions?"

Namjoon shook his head. "Not really. I'm too clumsy for anything else."

Kai laughed reassuringly, nudging Namjoon with his elbow, "Hey, if Yoongi let you on so late in the season, you can't be that bad."

All of a sudden, a whistle pierced the air, and everyone's attention turned to Yoongi who stood in the middle of the court, explaining the drills they were about to do.

Kai leaned over and whispered, "As long as you don't come for my position, I think we're gonna be good friends," he winked, before turning his attention back to Yoongi.