six

[august]

"We out!" Hoseok screeched, throwing the double doors of the school open and walking into the warm midday air.

Namjoon smiled, happy that his first day had gone relatively stress-free.

He looked over at his brother who was giggling with Jeongguk, smirking as he sent a quick text to his mother.

A sudden tap on his shoulder made him turn, coming face to face with the angel that seemed to always take his breath away.

A.k.a Kim Seokjin.

"So me and the boys usually go out for celebratory food on the first day. Wanna join?"

Hoseok jumped out of nowhere to chime in. "Ooh! Yeah! Taehyung, Jeongguk, and Yoongi should come too! It'll be fun!"

Namjoon's heart sank a little.

His head hung low, as he started fidgeting with his extremely cracked phone.

"Oh. Well, I'd love to-"

"Great!"

"-but I can't."

Jin furrowed his eyebrows. Hoseok quirked his head to the side.

"Oh? Why?"

Namjoon felt the red creep up his neck. Everyone was curious and that made Namjoon nervous.

"Um, I just have schoolwork and some stuff I have to do."

"Aww. Hey, we all have schoolwork to do! We can be lazy buddies together! You should come, just for- nggh!" Jin elbowed Hoseok effectively, shutting him up, seeing the uncomfortable look on Namjoon's face.

"Are you sure? You can come for a little while, just to relax. We'd really like getting to hangout with you for a bit," Jin smiled at the younger, and if we're being completely honest, Namjoon almost said yes.

But then, he remembered how much his son needed him and how excited he was when Namjoon promised they would go to the park.

"I-i. I really want to, but-"

"Namjoonie? Can I speak with you for a quick second?" His brother looped one of his arms and dragged him away before he could say anything.

Once at a distance, Taehyung gave him a look.

"What?" Namjoon shot back. The younger sighed.

"Hyung, they want to hangout!" He whined, shaking his arm back and forth.

"And?"

"What do you mean 'and'?! They're asking to be your friend!"

"I see that, but-"

"But nothing! This is your chance, Hyung! A shot at a normal teenage life! These people seem really cool, and they want to be your friend."

"But I promised Young-Jae I'd take him to the park. I have a son, Taehyung, I can't just stop being a parent whenever I feel like it." Taehyung shook his head.

"And I understand that Hyung, but don't forget to make time for yourself. I love my nephew with all my heart, and I love you just as much. I want you to live a little, make friends, feel normal. You're still a teenager and you have needs too. Don't let this be a repeat of last year."

Namjoon was silent. He knew his brother was right.

He knew that he'd matured way faster than most, he knew he constantly slaved away to provide for his son, he knew that he didn't have to be so closed off, and he knew that at this point, he couldn't ever be a normal teenager again.