Chapter 18 - Make me

(A/N: The video has nothing to do with the story but it's just amazing and  I found it rlly sad so watch it)

Tuesday 10th September

John pov

I closed my eyes and tried to shush Alex and after a while, he stopped shaking. 

"Are you okay, hun?" I whispered

"Y-yeah...I-I'm okay n-now" He buried his head in my chest and wrapped his arms tightly around my waist. Like really tightly, as if I would fly away at any second.

"Alex"

"Yeah"

"I love you but can you loosen up a bit" I gasped

"O-oh yeah...sorry"

"It's cool"

"I-I just d-don't want you to leave me"

I was shocked by his reply. I had just told him I love him for the first time "Baby, I won't leave"

"That's what they said but they all left" (A/N: I was about to type 'That's what she said' Lol)

"Wh-what do you mean?" 

"F-first it w-was m-my Father" He began "H-he knew...H-he knew w-we were running out o-of money a-and he only cared about himself...H-he told me he l-loved me and then...h-he was gone...I was only 10" 

"Oh Alex" I went to hug him but he pushed me off.

"I'm not done" He explained "T-there w-was an illness spreading around the island when I was 12. E-everyone else who g-got the illness h-had enough money to buy the cure...B-but we had no money a-and then my m-mother got it...I begged the doctor to give her some medicine...I waited outside his door EVERY DAY!! I DID CHORES FOR HIM! I WAS PRACTICALLY HIS SLAVE!...but he still wouldn't give her any medicine...h-he killed my mother..."

Alex let out heavy sobs into my chest and I wrapped my arms around him. "He killed my mother" Alex whispered.

"Shhh. I know I know. You don't have to carry on"

"You deserve to know" He wiped his eyes "After that, I worked in a trading company for two years. I also did odd jobs around the island...I would do anything to keep my brother and I alive. I delivered the doctor's daily meal...I had the chance to kill him...I-I could have poisoned it...I...But I didn't...I knew my mother would not approve...When I was seventeen a hurricane swept through my town..."

He stopped as a burst of thunder shook the room. He winced and looked up. His eyes were full of fear as if he thought the roof would fly off at any second.

"Alex...?"

"It destroyed everything...Everyone was dead...everyone except me...I saw my brother drown. I saw...so much pain and suffering I just wanted it to end. I..." He took a deep breath "I jumped off a roof into the raging waters...I couldn't seem to die...It spat me into the eye...I looked up...There was so much beauty in the centre of so much pain...that was what kept me going...I-I can't believe I even tried to die...After the hurricane, I moved to a nearby island...all alone. I wrote down my story. People were shocked and moved by it so they raised money for me to get an education. That's how I got here. That's why I'm here with you"

I realised I was crying too. I hugged him and wiped his face. I gave him a million little kisses all over his cheeks and nose. "I love you and you're never ever gonna go through that ever again. I promise I will never leave you alone. I love you so so so much"

He smiled through the tears "I love you too" 

Suddenly a flash of lightning struck the sky and he was cowering in the corner under my bed again. I pushed myself up beside him and hugged him tightly.