Chapter 24 - The Goodbye Song

Friday 14th September

James pov

"Mr Madison, you have a visitor" The nurse said, walking into my room, holding a clipboard.

Eliza followed behind him with a cup of nasty hospital coffee.

"Hey" Smiled at me "How are you?"

"I'm fine" I lied. I turned to the nurse "Can I go home soon?"

"Ah...Doctor Washington would like to speak to you..." He ignored me "I'll go and get her"

He left the room.

"What was that about" Eliza wondered.

I shrugged "Beats me." I lied. I knew what it was about.

A few minutes later, Doctor Washington walked into the room.

"James. How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling fine" I lied again.

"Okay" She turned to Eliza "Can I talk to James alone for a moment? Then I'll talk to you"

"Okay" Eliza gave me a quick kiss on the forehead before following the nurse back out.

"James...I'm afraid you have tuberculosis...And you've had it for a while" She said softly when Eliza had left.

"I know" I choked "I've known for a long time" 

Tears started to spill down my face.

"James. You should have told someone. They would have been able to help you...But I'm afraid tuberculosis is only curable with an early diagnosis and immediate antibiotic treatment"

"Am I gonna die?" I whimpered. I was frightened. Just like I was when I first coughed up blood.

"I'm afraid there's nothing we can do but hook you up to life support and hope you stay strong"

"I don't wanna go" I began to panic "I don't wanna go! I don't wanna go! Please!"

"You're okay" She tried to comfort me, but I just started hyperventilating.

She called in more doctors and they hooked me up to a life support. Tubed and wires were pushed into my body. 

I started sobbing "Can I see Thomas please?"

"Yes" One of them said and the others cleared off.

"Can I tell Eliza?" Doctor Washington said

I nodded "Be gentle"

Five minutes later I was sat alone in the silence. The machine behind me beeped steadily. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. I breathed slowly. 

"Why me?" I asked aloud.

I wished I wasn't scared of death. But in reality, it was hard to ignore. I knew how much pain I would inflict on everyone else. I was hurting them. I was hurting Eliza. I was hurting Thomas.

That was why I had to see him. One last time.

Thomas pov

I rushed into the room. "James!"

"Thomas!"

Beep beep beep.

He held his arms out for a hug and I hugged him as tightly as I could without damaging the wires.

"How are you?" I smiled.

"Thomas"

"I mean I've missed you so much" I waffled, ignoring him.

Beep beep beep.