Chapter 37 - To this

Friday 29th October

Eliza pov

I sprinted down the corridor, chucking leaflets around and occasionally sticking one to a wall. 

Peggy had told me that this, along with screaming as you ran, was the best way to get people's attention about something. And so far, it was working.

People all over campus were picking up leaflets and reading about the auditions for the school musical  - Be More Chill. Everyone seemed excited, as far as I could tell. I was running so fast I didn't get a chance to see most people's faces, but never mind.

I had my heart set on the part of Christine and I was sure that there would be plenty of people to audition for the other roles. It looked like it was going to go smoothly.

Laf pov

I was jogged from a pleasant daydream by a sudden scream outside the door. Herc stopped massaging my shoulders and opened the door.

Whoever it was had left a coating of purple and blue leaflets along the hall. Students were wandering out of dorm rooms and picking them up. I grabbed one from the wall.

"Oh mon dieu!! Herc! It's Be More Chill, we have to audition!!!!"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I dunno, I'm not that good at singing."

"Please???" I gave him my puppy eyes and he tried to resist.

"Ummmmm...Fine!"

"Yay!!!!" I squealed, hugging him tightly.

Martha Washington pov

"Next!" I called, glancing at my clipboard.

A tall boy with frizzy hair tied back in a ponytail skipped into the room. 

"HIMYNAMEISMARIEJOSEPHPAULYVESROCHGILBERTDUMOTIERMARQUISDELAFAYETTEANDI'MHERETOAUDITIONFORTHEROLEOFJAKE!!!"

"Could you please repeat that slightly slower?"

"Sorry, I'm kinda nervous."

"That's okay"

"Hi, my name is...Lafayette and I'm here to audition for the role of Jake"

"Okay, whenever you're ready."

The introduction to Defying Gravity began and I smiled with pleasant nostalgia.

As soon as Lafayette started singing, I knew he was better than anyone else I'd ever heard. From the way he interacted with the audience, to his incredible stage presence. I was a little worried that he might not be able to hit the high F, but he did. And it was awesome.

"Um...Lafayette?" I smiled once the music had stopped.

"Oh gosh, was it that bad?" He sighed

"What? No! It was incredible! I was just going to say, would you ever consider playing a bigger role than Jake?"

"Um...Like who?" His face lit up slightly, even though I could see he didn't want to get his hopes up.

"Like...Michael for example?"

He beamed. "Really?"

"Yeah. So which would be your first choice?"

"Michael. Definitely."

"That's what I thought...You really ought to have some faith in yourself. You're a great singer."

"Th-thanks" He replied, breathless. He curtseyed and skipped off.