Chapter 7

Sophie

☼☼☼

I huffed, brushing my bangs out of my forehead. I didn't want to go back home but here I was, strapped into my brother's car against freewill.

"Do I have to go back?" I asked whining.

"Yeah, Mom and Dad said something about having to talk to you? I'm not really sure," Halen sighed.

"I'm not 5. I can make my own decisions," I whined again.

"If it were your own decision you wouldn't go back," Halen chuckled and stopped once he saw me glaring at him.

"It won't be bad; I promise," Halen said.

"Will you stay with me while I talk to them?" I asked biting on my lip nervously and tugging at my sweatshirt sleeves.

"Of course," Halen said smiling.

The closer we got to our house the quieter became. It's as if the radio only got louder and louder as we drove along. The music soon became a static buzz as we pulled up into the driveway.

"You'll be okay," Halen said squeezing my hand.

"It's just that I've been staying with you for the past week and I think they'll be pissed," I said tugging at my sweatshirt sleeves even more.

"Don't worry about it," Halen said.

I pulled out my keys from my purse and unlocked the front door, walking in.

"Sophia. Devonne. Rose. Where the hell have you been? We've been worried sick," my mother snapped as I walked in through the door. I gulped out of nerves.

Halen followed behind me and my mom's whole demeanor changed once her eyes landed on him.

"Hey sweetie, how are you?" She asked, reaching out and hugging Halen. Halen hugged her tentatively. I was never her favorite. Halen was the family's "star child". I thought it was because he was older but I wasn't exactly sure. Halen hated it as much as I did. He never thought Mom and Dad treated me fairly.

"Yeah, I guess I'm good," he said reaching up and scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

"Have you found a girlfriend yet?" Dad asked and Halen almost choked in his saliva. This subject always came up.

"No, I'm not exactly looking yet?" Halen said a bit confused.

"That surprises me that some girl come down and swooped you off your feet," my mom said in awe.

"Well that'd be kind of difficult, Halen does weigh like 180 pounds," I said jokingly but Mom just turned and glared at me causing me to stop.

"Mom, I don't think it's fair the way you treat Sophie," Halen piped up.

Mom didn't say anything.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Sophia and I get along great," she said and I huffed in annoyance.

"Believe what you want," I muttered.

"Sophia, that reminds me about what your dad and I wanted to tell you," she said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I'll wait until Dad gets home. He just ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things. He'll be right back," Mom said smiling sadistically.

This made me worried. Mom left the kitchen, leaving me with Halen and I started pacing around the room nervously.

"What could it be that they want to tell me," I asked tugging on my sweatshirt sleeves again.