day four

a song demonstrating how overrated you think a musical is

hmm... this might get a lil controversial. i think that 'heathers' is a little bit overrated (don't hate me). i don't think this musical is very popular or well-known in the general ~musical scene~, but it's definitely really big with the younger generation on the internet (that made me sound like a boomer). well, i guess they did that thing with riverdale... yikes.

don't get me wrong, i think it's a good musical. i like most of the songs and the story is cool (even though it's from the movie, not necessarily original). but i don't like it as much as everyone else seems to. it's just more of a personal thing.

my favorite songs are "meant to be yours", "lifeboat", and "freeze your brain", and i think that those three songs are genuinely some of the best musical songs (especially "lifeboat"). but the song "candy store"... it's really good, but i'm just so sick of hearing about it. that seems to be the one song that everyone knows. i was a little obsessed with it when i first heard this musical a few years ago, but now i'm kind of sick of it.

in conclusion, 'heathers' isn't as good to me as it is to some people, and i don't really understand why it's so popular with on tumblr and instagram and things like that. i mean, i know it's because it's a high school musical and it's relatable? i guess? but i feel like it's definitely not as good as other musicals (but that's just my opinion). 

my answer for this day is "candy store", because it's the most popular song from the show, so i feel like it's the one that demonstrates how overrated 'heathers' is the best (even though i still think it's a good musical).

----------

OKAY, YOU KNOW WHAT?

after some careful consideration that took place over the course of 30 seconds, i have decided that 'heathers' is not, in fact, the most overrated musical. it seems that i'd forgotten that the show 'dear evan hansen' existed for a second. so disregard everything i wrote up there, because this is gonna be my actual answer (because i'm a dumbass, apparently).

i wrote about my thoughts on 'dear evan hansen' in my ✦ let's talk about musicals ✦ book (check that out if you're interested 😏). i half-like it. there are some songs that are genuinely my favorite musical songs of all time, but then the other half of the songs are just not my taste (for example, "good for you", "only us", and "requiem" aren't my favorites, but "for forever" and "you will be found" are some of the best songs of all time).

this show is obviously super popular. it won 'best musical' at the tony's, i'm pretty sure. but for me, personally, the music doesn't necessarily justify that? oof. i think the plot is really interesting, but i also agree with the criticism that evan doesn't really get enough consequences for his actions. that's really the only bad thing i have to say about the plot, except for the fact that evan and zoe's relationship shouldn't exist. i feel like these opinions are gonna get some people heated, lol.

so in my opinion, this show is very overrated. it gets a ton of love, and i can understand why some people connect so deeply with it (i don't know a lot about mental health issues, but if this show helped some people, then who am i to say they're wrong?). but the music- which is an important part of a musical- doesn't live up to all the hype; only some of the songs do. therefore, i have to say that it's the most overrated musical of all the ones that i've listened to so far.

i think the song "waving through a window" is the one that everyone knows, so that's the one i'm picking for the answer for today. i think it's one of the better songs, but it's not one of my favorites. please don't hate me for this, lol. i don't hate 'dear evan hansen' or 'heathers', but i just don't think they're as good as other shows (and that's just my opinion!). i'd probably include 'be more chill' in that category too, but i don't think it's overrated since no one outside of the internet really cares about it anyways.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 6, 2019