day nineteen

a song from a musical that disappointed you

one musical i can think of that disappointed me was 'the prom'. now, i don't dislike this show at all. i really like most of it. the thing is, it was so hyped up all over tumblr, so i had high expectations the first time i listened to it. and like i said, i did like a lot of the songs, but some of them i really didn't like at all.

i honestly think it's just beth leavel that i don't like. i really can't stand her voice, lol. but honestly, this musical sounds very classic and a little generic, but it's still good. it's just not as good as i expected it to be because of what people were saying about it.

to be fair, i did hear a lot of people say exactly what i thought- that it was classic and a little boring at some parts. but the people who loved it really loved it. i really like the plot (from what i've gathered from just the cast album). and it gets an A+++ for representation.

but in terms of the music itself, i was a little let down. i'm not going to be listening to every song from this show like i do most musicals. i think beth leavel is a big reason for that, because most of the songs i don't like at all are the ones she's on. but some other songs are just not my style. they're not bad, but they're not for me. so for that reason, i was disappointed.

my favorite songs from this show, however, are by far "just breathe", "unruly heart", "alyssa greene", and "it's time to dance". "unruly heart" made me cry the first time i heard it and i didn't even really know what was happening. but i really hate the songs "the lady's improving" and "it's not about me". they're... so not good.

anyways, i guess my answer for today is going to be "just breathe" from 'the prom', because that's the first song i genuinely loved during my first listen. i don't hate this show at all. i think it's cute and it sucks that it closed, honestly. but it's just not completely my taste, so i was a little disappointed due to all the hype surrounding it.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 28, 2019