day fourteen

a song from the musical you haven't listened to in a while

i don't know that there's one musical specifically that i haven't listened to in a while. i have a whole musicals playlist (as i'm sure every musical-lover does, lol) that i listen to on shuffle a lot, so even if i haven't listened to a musical in full recently, i've at least heard a few of the songs.

i guess one that i've sort of avoided for a while is 'be more chill' (the original off-broadway soundtrack). i skip most of these songs when they come on shuffle, unlike all of the other musicals i listen to. i also haven't listened to 'heathers' in a while, but i listen to more individual songs from that one than i do from 'be more chill'.

i've talked about my feelings towards 'be more chill' a lot in all of my various books, so to summarize them, i feel a little bitter about this show. i used to really like it, but then i got kind of tired of it (my own fault), but then i realized that i didn't even really like the music all that much? it was just kind of a fun thing to listen to for a while, but after taking a break from it, i realized that it wasn't... really... that good? oof. the lyrics are pretty garbage.

anyways. so i haven't listened to this musical in its entirety since like, december 2018. the closest i've gotten to it is listening to the broadway version, but i'm just gonna pretend like that version doesn't exist. it'll be better for everyone involved.

my least favorite song from 'be more chill' is hands down "the squip enters". i HATE that song with a burning passion. even when i was kind of obsessed with this show, i always hated that one. is it even considered a song? idk, it's on the soundtrack. honestly, will roland's screaming is even worse than will connolly's, and i didn't think that was possible. "the pants song" is a close second. god, this show is so dumb. i don't know how i ever liked it. (side note: if you like this show, that is 100% your opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. people have different emotions and feelings and experiences, which is why people like different things! to each their own, y'know. you do you. if this show makes someone happy, then who am i to shame them for that?)

so in conclusion, my answer for today is "the squip enters" from 'be more chill'. i don't think i'll ever want to listen to most of the songs from this show again. i really only like "michael in the bathroom", "the pitiful children", and "the smartphone hour" at this point.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 23, 2019