day thirteen

a song from the musical you loved from hearing the first note

i'm really weird about getting into new musicals. like, i usually only listen to a few songs from one musical for a while before i decide to listen to the whole thing, so it took me a while to think of an answer for this day.

but i think that 'in the heights' was one that i genuinely fell in love with immediately. it's one of the only ones that i listened to it for the first time in its entirety without hearing any of the songs previously. i knew about 'in the heights' because of 'hamilton' and i knew that lin-manuel miranda also wrote it, so i was very interested (but also a little skeptical, because i was worried that it wouldn't hold up to 'hamilton'. i was dumb back then, okay?).

but i was seriously hooked the second lin's voice came in during the opening number. i feel like i say this every time, but i really don't know how to explain my feelings. this musical is just so good!!! (you can read my in-depth thoughts about this show in my ✦ let's talk about musicals ✦ book if you're interested).

my favorite song from this show is either "blackout" or "finale". i really can't choose. it always goes back and forth depending on which one i'm listening to, lol. every song on this soundtrack is amazing. usually there's one or two on a soundtrack that i'm not a fan of, but that's not the case for this one. "breathe", "champagne", "carnaval del barrio", and "when you're home" are also pretty high up on my list of favorites.

but i think my answer for today is going to be "finale" from 'in the heights'. this show is one definitely one that i was immediately obsessed with. i was worried i was going to be disappointed, but i wasn't at all. i was the opposite of disappointed. i don't know what word that would be, but this show means so much to me, and it's underrated and incredible. in conclusion, lin-manuel miranda is a genius.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 22, 2019