day twenty-eight

a song sung by the musical character that's so bad/cruel/evil that you love them

i think i mentioned this in an earlier entry, but i LOVE villains in all kinds of media- musicals, movies, books... i just love them so much (shoutout to my homeboy draco malfoy ✌🏻 slytherins for life). so this answer will be difficult because i don't know that i can pick just one. there are so many evil musical characters that i love so much...

that's not to say that i excuse the things they do or their thoughts/motiviations. i think that's what i talked about before. i know other people feel this way too, but i can't explain why i love the bad guys so much. they're usually just so well-written. a few of my favorites off the top of my head are hades from 'hadestown', lord farquaad from 'shrek', and i don't know his name, but he's the bad guy from 'anastasia' that sings "the neva flows". i love that song so much. i also really love aaron burr, but i don't think he's necessarily the villain in 'hamilton'. if anyone is, it's hamilton himself in my opinion.

there are also some villains, however, that i genuinely despise and cannot like no matter how evil they are. for example, professor callahan from 'legally blonde' makes me sick. i think he's a really well-written character and the actor is amazing and i really love the song "blood in the water", but his actions aren't forgivable and make me too uncomfortable for me to like him in any way.

but the one villain that i keep coming back to as my favorite is hades, maybe because it's one of my more recent favorites so i can't stop thinking about it, lol. but all of his songs are my favorites from 'hadestown'. "his kiss, the riot", "hey, little songbird", and "why we build the wall" give me chills (though, part of that can be attributed to patrick page's voice. that's probably a big reason why i love hades so much, honestly).

hades is a terrible person. he's corrupt and he's on a massive power trip (to say the least). i don't think he's ~misunderstood~ or anything, so i don't really know how to explain why i love him, except for the fact that he's played by patrick page, lmao. he's just so cool??? and terrible???

the one songs that i think shows how evil my favorite villain is and also why i love him so much is "why we build the wall" from 'hadestown'. it's just so good!!! idk!!! and like i've said, i do think a lot of my love for hades is because of the way that patrick page plays him. he doesn't necessarily have a lot of redeemable qualities, besides being old and in love, which i guess led to him being misguided??? i don't know. i'm not trying to justify the way he treats people. i just love his voice, lmao.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: september 11, 2019