day fifteen

a song by your favorite musical composer

*big time rush voice* we're halfway there... and looking back now... i never thought that i'd ever say... we're halfway there... that was so lame, i'm sorry. but also i'm not ashamed of the fact that i used to be a big time rush stan.

anyways. i think a musical composer is basically just a writer; i'm too lazy to google it. so my favorite musical composer/writer is lin-lanuel miranda (and no one is surprised). 'hamilton', 'in the heights', '21 chump street', and 'bring it on' are just a few of the things he's done that i love more than anything (also 'moana', but i don't really count that as a musical).

'hamilton' and 'in the heights' are my top two favorite musicals of all time, so obviously lin gets a lot of high praise from me. there's not really much to say. he's just a literal genius. some of the rhymes he comes up with??? one of my favorites is in "cabinet battle 3", from the 'hamilton mixtape', where he rhymes ""involve you in this" with "it's ruinous"... how does that even come up in someone's brain, i don't understand??? like i said- literal genius.

i love the styles of all the things he's done, and how they're all unique in their own way, but share the classic rap/hip-hop style that he does (if that makes any sense). for example, benny's, usnavi's, and graffiti pete's parts in the beginning of "96,000" remind me of the same style of lafayette's, lauren's, and hercules' parts in "my shot". wow, i'm SO bad at explaining things. hopefully you get what i mean.

anyways, lin-manuel miranda is hands down my favorite musical composer/writer. i know there are other ~greats~ like sondheim and andrew lloyd webber, but i don't like any of andrew's musicals and i don't know that i've even heard any sondheim ones yet. also i know that lin was influenced a lot by these other composers (duh, that's how art works), so no one yell at me for that, please.

i think my favorite song lyrically that was written by lin is "wait for it" from 'hamilton' or "finale" from 'in the heights'. i can't remember right now, and i'm too lazy to go back and look, but i think i used "finale" for an answer already, so i guess my answer for today is going to be "wait for it" from 'hamilton', written by lin-manuel miranda.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 24, 2019