day eleven

a song from the musical that had the biggest impact on you

i said that i didn't want to use 'hamilton' for every answer, but i kind of have to. 'hamilton' 100% had the biggest impact on me. it's the musical that got me into all of these other musicals. it kind of changed my life? i mean, that's a little dramatic, but it definitely made me happier than i'd ever been (and so did all of these other musicals).

basically, when i discovered hamilton in february 2017, i was in a weird place. like i was in college and i hated every second of it. i was doing online classes, so i would literally skip like, all of them and i wouldn't do any of the work, which obviously resulted in bad grades. it was just a whole mess. i was miserable pretty much all the time, and i didn't really enjoy... things? i guess. i don't know. it was just weird.

and then i found 'hamilton' and i was hooked instantly. i listened to it constantly. and it made me super happy (well, also sad, but generally speaking, it did make me happy). i loved finding memes and stuff on instagram, and i made a tumblr so i could repost and post content for it. my life pretty much revolved around 'hamilton' at this time (and also 'the hamilton mixtape'). if i was having a bad day, i would listen to 'hamilton' to take my mind off of all of it.

also, a lot of the lyrics were super inspiring. "wait for it" and "the story of tonight" specifically really got to me. they just really resonated with me and made me feel good about the future, i guess. i really wish i knew about this musical back in 2015. (well, i did technically know about it. idk, read my ✦ let's talk about musicals ✦ book if you wanna know more, lol).

because of this musical, i found all of these other ones that make me super happy. i don't know how to explain it, but if you're reading this, you probably get the feeling. musicals are just so good and pure. it's the same thing with books and movies and stuff- it's just a good way to escape.

'hamilton' also got me to pay attention to politics. there are a lot of politics surrounding the show (duh), and with things like the cast being all poc, and with lines like, "immigrants, we get the job done," (and that whole song on the mixtape), i found myself paying more attention and caring more about the world around me. and with t**** being president... 'hamilton' felt like a beacon of hope, honestly. it just really inspired me to make a change. i can tribute a lot of these feelings to just lin-manuel miranda in general, but that stems from 'hamilton' (and 'in the heights'). it made me more aware of the things happening around me.

ultimately, 'hamilton' is the one the started this whole musical obsession for me, so that's my answer for today. the song i'm going to pick is "yorktown (the world turned upside down)". i really do feel like it changed my life. to be fair, i was also in a transition stage in life when i found it. i was 18 years old, so that's a weird time in general, but i really do contribute my overall happiness the last few years to musicals, and most importantly, 'hamilton'.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 20, 2019