day eighteen

a song from a musical that has the best lyrics

i said i didn't want to use 'hamilton' for every single answer, but it's my favorite for a reason. i do genuinely think it has the best lyrics of all the shows i've listened to. 'in the heights' is a really close second. lin-manuel miranda is the common denominator there, lol.

but there are so many incredible lines in 'hamilton', almost too many to list. i think i made a brief list of my favorites in my ✦ let's talk about musicals ✦ book, but i'll just list them again.

"i imagine death so much, it feels more like a memory," was the first one that stood out to me back when i first listened to the whole musical. i don't even have words to describe that line. how does one even come up with something like that??? it's so beautiful.

"you really do write like you're running out of time," from the song "who lives, who dies, who tells your story" makes me SOB every time i hear it. i literally teared up just writing that. it's just shows how passionate he was, even after he died, and the way eliza sounds so endeared by it. i don't know, man. this line gets my every time. i think it's actually my favorite in the whole show.

all of "wait for it" is just... the best. i'm pretty sure lin said it's one of his favorite songs he's ever written, and i can see why. every line in that song is better than every line in some full shows in my opinion.

the word play and all of the rhyme schemes in this musical are part of what make it my favorite. i know that's a big part of hip-hop, which obviously 'hamilton' is influenced by. it's just so cool!!! i'm still amazed every time i listen to it. some of the rhymes lin came up with are just... indescribable. 

"i'll use a pseudonym, you'll see what i can do to him," is iconic.

also, "look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now," is so beautiful. "that would be enough" is also one of the most beautiful songs (lyrically and musically) that i've ever heard. and then there's iconic lines like, "immigrants, we get the job done."

i don't know, man. the lyrics in this show are so incredible, i don't even know what to say. of all the musicals i've listened to since, it's still my favorite. there really aren't any other shows (that i've heard) that have SO many good lyrics like 'hamilton' does (in my opinion. feel free to disagree, just don't be mean). however, like i said before, 'in the heights' really is a close second. there are so many good lines in that one, too, but there are just more in 'hamilton', i think.

after just rereading the question, i don't know if it's referring to the musical in general that has the best lyrics, or one specific song that has the best lyrics??? either way, the answer would be from 'hamilton'. i don't know if i used "wait for it" or not for an answer already. i think i might have, but i don't remember anymore.

anyways, whatever the question is referring to, my answer for today is going to be "wait for it" from 'hamilton', as the song from a musical that i think has the best lyrics. every line in 'hamilton' is A+++. and "wait for it" definitely has the best lines in the whole show. "hurricane" is a close second. i love the lyrics in that song so much. now that i'm thinking about it, i might actually change my answer to that.

so yeah, in conclusion, my actual answer for today is "hurricane" from 'hamilton', since i'm not sure if i already used "wait for it" or not. "hurricane" is so amazing and underrated, tbh. this entry was all over the place, lmao.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 27, 2019