day twenty-six

a song sung by the character in a musical to which you most relate

i think i've talked about this briefly before on another day, but i don't really relate to musicals or movies or books or anything like that. i think i was talking about how i don't really get inspired by things, i just listen to them/watch them. i don't necessarily feel the same way, if that makes sense. i don't know why i don't really connect with art like that.

i can appreciate it for sure. i can understand characters and their depth and feelings and things like that, but i don't necessarily look at a character and be like, "hm. relatable." it's just a personal thing, and i don't understand it.

there are definitely a lot of relatable musical characters, though. any character can be relatable, even the villains. if i had to pick a character that i most relate to, i guess it would be evan hansen? i don't have social anxiety, and i've never lied to a family about their dead son before, but i guess i relate to the way he always questions things? but he does that because he has an anxiety disorder, which i don't have, so it feels kinda fucked up to say that, idk.

i guess i also relate to aaron burr's ideology of waiting for things to play out before making a decision. i react that way in real life, i think. i also kind of relate to amélie's feeling like she's missed out on certain things? i feel like i missed out on a lot of my teenage years because i hated leaving the house and like, doing anything, so i didn't get a lot of experiences, kind of like amélie. 

like i said before, i don't relate to one character in their entirety. i can understand their thoughts, feelings, motivations, etc., but i don't see myself in any character. but if i had to pick one for today's answer, i guess it would be "the girl with the glass" from 'amélie'. that's the song where she talks most about feeling like she's different because she didn't get the same childhood as other people, as shown in the line(s), "maybe when she was little, she didn't get to play with other kids," "well, isn't it about time she started?".

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: september 7, 2019