day ten

a song from your least favorite musical

don't worry, guys, we're back on track 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

i think out of all the musicals i've listened to in their entirety, my least favorite is the 'be more chill' broadway version. it's just... so bad, man. the original album isn't high up on my list of favorites either, but it's a million times better than the broadway version.

i really don't know how to explain why i don't like it at all. there isn't a single song that i would listen to again. it's just so disappointing. i talked about this soundtrack briefly in my ✦ let's talk about musicals ✦ book. i have no problem with change or anything. obviously i know the two soundtracks are going to be different, since there are different casts and they need to change it up a bit since it's been running for a while now (well, not anymore. oof).

but it changed in all the wrong ways. i will say that i do like that they added the "a guy that i'd kinda be into (reprise)" to the actual soundtrack, but that's really the only positive thing i can say about it. i guess i kind of like the new upgrade, but my main problem with this whole new soundtrack in general is it just sounds??? so bad??? like the vocals are trash for some reason. i've seen the b*** from the new york run, so i know that the cast all have actual good voices, but on the soundtrack, they just sound like they've never sung before in their lives???

also the background music is so gross. i don't know. i know 'be more chill' has always had that like, techno-pop sound, which makes sense for the plot. but they went a little overboard with it on the broadway soundtrack in my opinion. i think that might just be more of a personal preference than an actual criticism of the soundtrack, but either way, it contributes to why i don't like this album at all.

i think i'm done complaining for today. if i had to pick one song that i actually like, i guess it would be "upgrade", mainly just because of britton smith. i actually really like him. the 'be more chill' broadway soundtrack is hands down my least favorite musical soundtrack i've ever heard. (to be fair, i've also heard the first act of 'fiddler on the roof' and i didn't really like it, but i'm not counting that since i don't care about that one at all. i at least somewhat liked the original 'be more chill').

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

date: august 19, 2019