Chapter Two

(One Day Earlier)
Scarlett's POV:

"Hey Scarlett!" I turned around as my best friend Kennedy rushed down the high school steps and speed walked over to me. She held out her hand and put the other hand on her hip. I rolled my eyes and dumped her sweater into her hand.

"Thank You" She said, trying to look stern. Then we both burst into a fit of laughter. She had given me her sweater in gym class since the teacher decided to make it below 0 with the AC's blasting.

Ding

I looked down and saw I had a message from Mom and Dad, telling me to come home right away. I tilted the screen to show Kennedy and she nodded.

"Let's head home" I said. She pulled out her keys and lead the way to her car, a white 2016 Nissan. I climbed into the passenger seat just as she turned the car on.

On the way home we talked about our classes and the piles of homework that we had. Every conversation came to a halt once we pulled up to my house.

"There's a police car in your driveway Scar, what's wrong?" Kennedy asked. I could see my Mom rushing down the stairs, frantically waving for me to get out to come inside. I grabbed my book bag quickly and opened the door.

"Uh. I'll text you what happens. Go on home we can hang tomorrow" I told her. She reluctantly nodded. I slammed the door and watched her take off down the street. When she turned the corner I walked over to Mom.

"What—"

"Come. They're looking for you. Your father is getting them some coffee" She said. I raised an eyebrow.

"Looking for me? Why?" I asked. She didnt respond and that had me worried. She led the way inside the house and closed the door once I was inside. I slowly made my way to the kitchen and found Dad pouring two cups of coffee for two officers. A male and a female.

The female had her black hair in a tight bun and sharp brown eyes that seemed to cut straight through me. Her male partner's hair was short and also black, but his eyes were a greyish color. He seemed almost, nervous.

Something doesn't feel right about them

"Miss Scarlett Andrews?" The female cop said, making me jump. Dad waved me over to come sit with them in the dining room. I pulled out a chair and sat across from the male cop, my parents sitting next to me. She flipped through her clipboard until she found what she was looking for. Then gave me a very creepy smile.

"You're under arrest for stealing a very pricy silver ring with a diamond" She read off. The male gestured to my hand.

"What? I bought this from a store. I didn't steal it!" I said, jumping up. "I'll go get the receipt if you wish"

"That won't be necessary. We had every store in a 40 mile radius checked for when they saw you come in and all of them said the same thing. You never showed up at the store and one of their rings is missing" The male cop said, stepping in. I grimaced. My parents looked disappointed.

I bought this ring nearly 2 months ago. I told the cashier goodbye as I walked out the door. This doesn't make sense. The store has cameras right?

"The stores all have cameras right? Check the cameras! I bought this!" I protested. Both cops collectively sighed and stood up.

"Scarlett Andrews you are under arrest for stealing. Please come with us peacefully" The male cop said, approaching me with the handcuffs. I didn't say anything as he cuffed my hands in front of me and turned me around to lead me out the door and to the car. Mom and Dad were talking to the female officer, pleading for her to check the cameras and that they would find and hand over the recipient. She dismissed them and followed us out the door, slamming it shut. She pressed a button for the earpiece I never noticed was there.