Rhian Howell: Back in the Philippines

Rhian's POV:

It was nice to be back in the Philippines. My first stop was my former Yaya Rosa's house in Baguio. I have just gotten back from the U.S. and I have not forgotten Yaya Rosa's offer to visit her in Baguio. It was 5 a.m. when I arrived at the Manila Airport I took a bus with my duffel bag and a stroller bag, the only bags I could bring as I ran away from my past. I arrived in Baguio after a grueling four hours of travelling by bus. I slept through the stopover and I arrived a bit famished. Sabi ni Yaya Rosa, her place is right off the bus station, about a kilometer away. Yaya and I kept in contact over the years, she knew I was coming home this year, but I didn't disclose when exactly I would come home. I walked a kilometer, natanaw ko na ang kainan sa tabi ng bahay ni Yaya Rosa, Rosa's Eatery. Just like Yaya Rosa told me that she owned a small eatery just beside their house. I arrived at 9:15 A.M.  I entered the eatery and found Yaya Rosa cooking for Lunch, I went near the counter, looked at the things she was cooking. 

"Anong satin?" Tanong ni Manang Rosa habang busy ito sa pagluluto. 

"Kape po." I said. 

She looked over to me and got stunned, para itong nakakita ng multo. 

"Rhian?!" Yaya Rosa exclaimed. 

She hugged me then and there, she hugged me so hard that I almost lost my balance. 

"Ikaw ba talaga yan?" She said as she touched my face checking to see if what she was seeing was real. 

I grinned widely at her, natatawa ako sa ikinikilos ni Yaya Rosa. 

"Opo. Si Rhian nga po." I said to her.

"Naku kang bata ka talaga! Di ka man lang nagpasabi na ngayon ang uwi mo!" Yaya Rosa exclaimed as she enveloped me once again in a tight hug. 

"Surprise po Yaya!" I said laughing at her.

"Hala, sige maupo ka diyan. Pagtitimplahan kita ng kape. Gusto mo bang kumain? Ay hindi, kakain ka. Saglit lang." 

She calls out to a helper para magpatuloy sa pagluluto niya. Ipinagtimpla ako ng kape, ibinaba nya ang kape sa tapat ko kasama ang dalawang lalagyan na naglalaman ng asukal at creamer. I smiled at her and told her. 

"Hindi po ako umiinom ng kape na may asukal at cream, black lang po." I replied to her. 

"Ah ganun ba, o siya. Hintay ka lang dyan at paghahandaan kita ng almusal." Yaya Rosa said. 

As she walked back to the counter, she scoops several viands on display along with rice. She goes back to the table and placed bowls of viands, Beef Caldereta, Pork Adobo and Chicken Tinola. Hanggang ngayon, tandang-tanda pa ni Yaya Rosa ang mga paborito kong ulam na niluluto nya dati. 

"Ayan, mag-agahan ka muna hija. Sigurado akong pagod na pagod ka sa byahe mo galing Amerika." Yaya Rosa said. 

"Salamat po Yaya Rosa, puro paborito ko pa ang hinanda ninyo." I said smiling to her. 

"Naku, wala yun hija." Yaya Rosa smiled. 

"Yaya, sa Batangas po ako titira, sa mansyon ng aking lola." I said to her as I began to sip on my coffee. 

"Alam ba ng Mama at Papa mo narito ka sa Pilipinas?" Tanong ni Yaya Rosa sa akin. 

I didn't expect that she will ask me this question, nobody knew that I was here. Not even Bianca knows about me being here. 

"Yaya... Wala pong nakaka-alam na nandito ako sa Pilipinas." I said to Yaya. 

"Bakit? Hindi ba may asawa ka na?" Yaya Rosa asked me.