Rhian Testifies in Court

Rhian's POV:

It has been a few weeks since I have opened the cafe at since our first court hearing ngayong araw huling araw ng paglilitis sa kasong isinampa ko laban kay Jeremy David Limjoco Jr. I was in the court house, getting ready to be cross-examined by his lawyer. I testified kanina lang about what had happened. I held back tears as I recounted the three years of abuse I suffered from David. As he smiled smugly at the testimony that I gave. His lawyer stood and approached me.

"Mrs. Limjoco, I just wanted to ask you, why did you let Mr. Limjoco hurt you over and over through out the years when you could have walked away." The lawyer interrogated me.

"Because I didn't know any better, I thought he would snap back to himself, hindi naman ganyan si David as a boyfriend, he was a perfect gentleman, he was a good guy, that was why my parents liked him. I knew they would think I was not trying hard enough for David." I said to him.

"Why are you afraid of that thought? Was it because you were a liar? A known master manipulator by your parents?" The lawyer asked me.

"Objection your honor! This man thinks they could manipulate the truth out of my client." Attorney Hilao said.

"Objection Sustained. Mr. Chua, I will not tolerate your line of questioning, we have sufficient evidence to establish that Miss Howell is not a liar or a master manipulator." The judge said.

"Thank you your honor." Attorney Hilao said.

"Now do you have any further questions?" The judge said.

"That will be all your honor." David's lawyer said.

"Alright, this court will resume its proceedings in 2 hours, being that testimonies were already heard, witnesses have said their testimonies. We will be passing our verdicts then." The Judge said at sabay pukpok nito sa gavel nya.

Everyone in their seats rose, David was lead away by his prison guards. Mom and Dad was here they just testified against David. They gave me a warm hug as soon as maka-baba na ako sa witness stand.

"You did great hija. Super proud of you." Dad said as he hugged me.

Mom was teary eyed as I hugged her.

"Good job, baby." Mom whispered.

"Thank you Mom, Dad." I said to them both as we exited the courthouse.

Arm in arm my Family together with Attorney Hilao, crossed the street and we ate lunch at one of the local restaurants in the area. We sat at the table together with Attorney Paula Hilao. Paula was two years younger than me, pero mag-kasing year level kami sa school, we were former classmates, Paula is shy but could argue to the end of the earth. She and Bianca were my rock. I drew my strength from them to get away from my married life. Paula was a genius at oral arguments and debates. In fact during those times we were in school she was the Batch's debate champion, she skipped a few grades because she was a smart one. Her grades were above average, in fact we both were geniuses. Only I excel in science, I won several interschool science quiz bees and a couple of poetry contests. Bianca excelled in Math and Home Economics, because Math is Universal. 🙄😒 Paula excelled in debating and English.

While Bianca and Paula excelled in their own right. Bianca was my Class VP and Paula was my year level VP during those times we were in school. Paula's expertise in Family and Abuse related cases was the reason I hired her. Bukod pa sa pagiging mabuting kaibigan, I have the confidence she could win this case. Paula finished her law school at the age of 19, she passed her bar exams at the age of 20 and has since won 500 family and abuse related cases. Nagkakamustahan sa ngayon sila nila Mommy and Daddy. Paula gleefully answered the questions Mom and Dad asked her.

"The case is strong against Jeremy, thanks to Rhian's evidences. We built a solid case po Tita Clara and Tito Gareth, your daughter strategically got Jeremy red handed, tanga na lang ho ang magdedesisyong i-acquit si Jeremy." Paula said smiling.

"Thank you for the save kanina Paula."
I said to her.

"Wala yun, Rhi." Paula said smiling.

"Thank you din Mom and Dad for your support." I said to them.

"Walang ano man iyon hija, syempre anak ka namin, we want what's best for you. It's a given fact." Mom said.

"Hays, I just want him to rot in jail and learn his lesson. Also Mom and Dad, I'm beginning to like someone else na po. Her name is Glaiza, the architect who helped me restore Lola Felicity's garden." I said to them.

"Really now? A woman?" Dad asked me.

"Yes, dad. I think you guys would love her, she's adorable actually." I said to them.

Mom and Dad was silent for a few moments after I revealed to them my new love interest. I have had some girlfriends previously back in college as well as other boyfriends but none was permanent as David has become for me. Each one knew my parents, I never dated anyone with out introducing them to my parents. Dahil iyon lang ang rules na kailangan ko i-follow, Mom and Dad wanted to know the person I am currently dating, be it a girl or a boy. Kaya hindi na bago ang tagpong ito sa kanila.

"Well when are we going to meet her?" Dad asked me.

"Soon." I said smiling.

"How soon is soon?" Dad rephrased his question.

"I can invite her over for the weekend." I said to them.

"We'll expect her then." They both smiled.

Maya-maya lamang, dumating na ang mga pagkain na inorder namin for lunch, we ate heartily and enjoyed lunch. After an hour and 45 minutes we were back at the courthouse. I sat upfront with Paula as we waited for the Judge to enter the room. After 10 minutes the judge came in. We were asked to stand while the rest remained seated.

"This trial was a hard one, because we are torn between Mr. Limjoco and Mrs. Limjoco. Who was telling the truth? After reviewing the thousands of CCTV footages, the photos and other evidences in this court, we have now reached a final verdict. Mr. Limjoco, I hope you understand the grave consequences of your actions, I hope you reflect on this through the years to come. Mrs. Limjoco, I applaud you for your strength and for your honesty, no woman should be subjected to this kind of horrific acts. So, I congratulate you for asserting your rights. Court Clerk, you may now read the final verdict."

"The court of Justice Mariam Defensor - Santiago has proven the Defendant Mr. Jeremy David Limjoco Jr., guilty of 1 count of assault and battery, 1 count of violation of R.A. 9262 of the Philippines. The court hereby sentences you to Reclusion Perpetua with Life Imprisonment and no possibility of parole. The court also annuls your union as husband and wife for your violation of the said Philippine laws. As payment for all the emotional and physical torment you brought about to your now ex-wife, the court hereby orders you to pay 5 million pesos as compensation for her attorney fees and court fees." The clerk read out loud followed by the judge's pounding of her gavel.

The conviction of Jeremy David and the annulment of our marriage was a big sigh of relief. It made me shed tears I was holding back through this trial. I was free at last and could do anything I wanted. Both of my parents hugged me for the victory we had. Naka-hinga na ako ng maluwag habang akap ko ang parents ko.

A/N:

This chapter is dedicated to Vi_AndreA, salamat author for inspiring me to continue writing. Salamat din sa pasensiya mo sakin. 😊

To the rest of my readers, salamat for your votes!

Spread light and love!

- Sky