XXI.

jocelyn gasped awake, feeling the lingering pain in her neck. she looked around the old house, finding no sense of familiarity being there. jocelyn stood to her feet, feeling a pull towards another room.

four caskets were in the room, jocelyn knowing exactly who they belonged to the second her eyes landed on them.

"nik?" jocelyn said, looking around the room for a glimpse of the man she'd grown to care for. "are you there?"

one of the caskets flew open suddenly, making the heretic flinch. jocelyn stepped to the casket hesitantly.

"oh, god." jocelyn breathed out, feeling tears brim her eyes at the sight of the man laying limp in the casket. she grabbed the mans face in her hands. "nik!"

☾ °☆ . * ● ¸ . ★

"i made a promise to you," klaus whispered, pushing a piece of the girls hair behind her ear. "and i've broken it. i never deserved you. i never will, love."

jocelyn laid limp in the hybrids arms, still not healed from the broken neck he'd given her. klaus let his tears fall onto her skin, the man wiping them away after a moment.

"nik!" jocelyn gasped awake, talking a grip of the mans shirt as soon as she hit consciousness. "you were— you were dead."

klaus took a hold of her face in his hands. "i'm here, love. you're safe. we're both safe."

"i never want to feel that again." jocelyn breathed out, pressing her forehead against the hybrids chest. "i never want to feel any of that again. the hopelessness, not being able to stop myself from hurting you. the fear of seeing you dead. i cant lose you too, nik. i don't think i'd know how to cope with losing you too. you've always put me first, despite everything. protected me when i couldn't protect mysel—"

"miss odess—" klaus started, hating the sight of her in so much pain.

"no, let me talk, please." jocelyn put her fingertips over the mans lips. "i love you. i love you so much."

klaus felt his dead heart jump slightly in his chest. he could see the sincerity in her eyes, the worry that the feelings weren't reciprocated or the words would scare the hybrid away.

"you don't have to say it back." jocelyn spoke under her breath. "i just needed you to know. the fear that i would've never gotten the chance to say it? it'd be my greatest regret."

"i love you." klaus pulled the heretic into his chest gently. jocelyn wrapped her arms around his torso, feeling the man tread his fingers through her hair. "more than life itself."

"your family," jocelyn started, pulling out of his grip after a moment. "somethings happened to them and if you're not careful, somethings going to happen to you, nik. that feeling i got last night, before— before mikael compelled me. it's still lingering inside."

"stefan stole them." klaus turned his back towards the girl, standing to his feet. he began to pace the room, panic and anger beginning to show on his features. "for a thousand years, i've always been one step ahead. he's bested me."

"we'll get them back, nik." jocelyn stood to her own feet, walking up behind the hybrid. she wrapped her arms around his back, pressing her forehead against him. "you're the original hybrid with a heretic, only one of her kind still alive— may i add, we're powerful, baby."

klaus felt jocelyn come to stand in front of him, taking a hold of his face in her hands. he found comfort in knowing, despite everything, he'd always have her by his side.

"it's us against the world, nik." jocelyn leaned forward, pressing her lips to the hybrids.

klaus was quick to return the kiss. he used his vampire speed to push her onto the bed, in a gentle sense. jocelyn leaned on her elbows with a smirk on her lips, the evil glint in her eyes shining brightly.