Chapter 8 : Another Step Closer

The high screech is ringing in his ears and his hands vibrate as he holds the electric drill in place, watching it carefully as it screws the bits into place. When the drill head pushes the remaining bolt into place, Wonho pulled away and reached out to tug on the metal bar that was put freshly into place. It is a reinforced titanium door security bar that stretches across the width of his front door. On the front side is a new lock that is activated by a code and a key, a two step process that makes opening the door that much harder.

He's put one on the back door as well, even on the door in his bedroom on the second floor that leads to a small balcony. Each entrance and exit has now been secured from the inside and outside, the security bars glistening in near indestructible precision. The company that he purchased the locks from told him each security bar is supposed to withstand over a thousand pounds of pressure, which was the best of the best with today's modern accessibility.

Wonho knows it's more than enough for a man like Jooheon, who can't weigh more than one-sixty five. It's even more than enough for Wonho, who weighs one-eighty. No matter how many times either of them would throw themselves into the door, it wouldn't budge. It would stay locked unless it was opened by Wonho's key and password.

It was perfect .

He fingered the dark metal with carefulness, even though it was far from being a delicate object. But it was important, the final preparation that he had to make. The security bar was the signal that the house was ready .

Wonho reached into his pocket and pulled out the silver key tucked into his wallet. With nimble fingers, he slid the key into the lock and twisted his wrist. The thud was heavy and it seemed to echo inside his skull as he watched the locks jam into place. He let out a shaky breath of relief and leaned his forehead against the thick wood of his front door. Wonho closed his eyes and smiled to himself.

Because he knew that it was finally time. He was ready to take the final step.