Chapter 27 : Sunlight

It all happens so fast.  

Too fast to even process.

One second Wonho is pushing the front door of the house open, then the next, Jooheon collides into him with so much force that it actually halts the breath in his lungs. He’s stunned on the spot but it’s like his brain throws itself into action knowing the vitalness of this moment, the importance of what he could lose .

Jooheon manages to throw himself past the frame of the door, gripping the sides with his hands and pulling himself through, not minding how Wonho’s body blocks the majority of the space. Wonho curses to himself as he lodges his body to the side, trying his best to jam Jooheon into the wall. It works but only barely and in result, he gets a hard elbow to the side of his head as Jooheon struggles against him. The space to his right is wide open and the door is uselessly out of his reach so it isn’t like he can pry the damn thing shut. The only way out of this is to get Jooheon restrained on the inside of the house and manage to get the door shut and locked before he can do anything else.

Jooheon, stop!” he shouts over the brunet’s struggles. He can hardly hear himself over their harsh breathing and struggles, but he doesn’t budge an inch away from Jooheon. Wonho knows the position must be painful for the younger man since he’s jammed up against the door frame with his arms down to his elbows on the outside of the house and grasping on tightly to the siding as if trying to pull his way through.

Wonho begins to panic when Jooheon’s movements don’t halt and if anything, his thrashing only gets stronger and the more seconds that tick by, Wonho can feel his grip slipping. He wasn’t prepared for this. The suit jacket that he has on has his arms restrained and he can’t do much more than have his arms extended straight. Even the fabric of his slacks restrict him in ways that hinder his ability to hold strong.

He can’t chance Jooheon getting out, he can't . His property is large and he wasn’t lying when he told Hyungwon he doesn’t have neighbors for miles, but still. The outside world isn’t something that Wonho can control. The inside of his house is .

No!” Jooheon pleads. “No, no, just let me fucking go!” He’s thrashing against Wonho’s hold and his elbows and knees are the only weapons he has against Wonho so he puts as much effort into them as he humanly can. It’s the hardest he’s fought against Wonho and with every blow the brunet lands, Wonho grunts at the impact.

Jooheon somehow pulls himself even further outside the house and when the sunlight flashes over Jooheon’s face as he inches forward, Wonho’s alarm kicks into hard drive. He can feel his heartbeat pounding against his ribs and with every ounce of energy and strength that he has, Wonho surges his weight all the way to the left.  

Jooheon cries out at the impact and Wonho’s added weight throws him momentarily but that small slip is all that Wonho needs. Wonho manages to get his arm shoved under Jooheon’s armpit and with one gruesome tug, he flings Jooheon away from the door frame and back into the house. The momentum of his movements throw the both of them down to the ground and when they hit the floor, the back of Jooheon’s head thuds against the hardwood floor. Although every fiber of his being wants to make sure Jooheon is okay, Wonho doesn’t waste a second twisting his body towards the door and slamming it shut.

The deadbolt locks and it’s only then that he takes a deep breath of relief, his chest heaving with the effort. With it shut and out of his attention, Wonho turns back towards Jooheon.

The younger man is sprawled on his back and there’s tears freely flowing down both of his cheeks. He’s trembling again with his eyes trained blankly on the ceiling above them. It pains Wonho to see him like that but it hurts him even more that Jooheon tried to get away.

Wonho is silent as he sits up and shoves his jacket off, throwing it carelessly to the side. Neither of them speak for several minutes and the only sound that can be heard is the hard breathing of the pair. Until, “Why’d you do that?” Wonho whispers, looking towards the brunet.

Jooheon doesn’t move. He doesn’t speak either. Wonho pays close attention to the rises and falls of Jooheon’s chest, and counts each blink the younger man does. He knows he’ll have to check Jooheon’s vitals to make sure he didn’t get a concussion but it’s a small price to pay in comparison to what could have happened.

Wonho sighs as he pushes himself up to his feet. He reaches up and unbuttons the first two buttons of his suit shirt as he steps away from the door. He forces his feet to walk past Jooheon and to not stop because he knows that Jooheon needs his space for a while to call down. So instead of reaching down towards the brunet like he really wants, Wonho walks over to the fridge and pulls a water bottle off the shelf.

He takes a large chug and lets the door fall shut before he turns his head towards Jooheon.

“I think it’s time we get some cameras,” he breaks the silence, nodding to himself at the turn of his thoughts.

Jooheon, however, lifts his arms and shields them over his eyes.