Chapter 1

A/N

Hey everyone, just remember this story is taking place in 1870. 

Thanks for reading everyone. 

Brantley's Pov 

I don't know why I even leave this mountain. This mountain gives me everything I could ever need. More then enough wild game for the few people that live up here. When I moved up here about 5 years ago, it was just right after the war. Maybe that why I'm up here. I've seen so much bad things I just want too see nature the way God made her. I just got my wagon all ready to go. I'm leaving this mountain for one day and one day only. Got to pay few of my debts off and I need to see Doc Jackson. I walked back into my small cabin, that I've built to grab my money. Ever since the war, you could say I've been up here hiding, but it's not like that at all. I love it up here. I like being alone for the most part, but there is still some cold nights where I could have someone to be with me. 

I was looking around the small cabin. It's only a two room cabin. My room and the kitchen/living room. The out house is around back. I need to clean this place up, but I don't have a lot of time to keep this place as clean as I should've been, but I might be able to keep up with it. No I won't. I grabbed my money and walked out of the cabin. I jumped up on the wagon and left my cabin for a 3 hour journey down the mountain. 

I live the closest to the town of 'Spring Hill's, Georgia'. My closest neighbors that I have is that McRoy family. They live an hour away from me. You could say that I live being alone for the most part, but I have this crazy, wild feeling that something big is going to happen today. God, I hope not. I don't need nothing at all. 

After 3 hours of coming down the mountain I looked at my watch and saw it was only 8 in the morning. I did great timing today. You could say that people of Spring Hill's look at me like I'm the missing link or something bad. Well, I've seen a lot of bad things in this world, but I'm not one of them. I just live up on a mountain and I look like I could kill you, but I won't. Unless I need too.

 I pulled over to the store here in Spring Hill's. I do business with the store owner Mr. Nels Olsen. I sell him my furs and he pays a buck more then anyone else. I got off the wagon and saw a few kids looking at me. I shook my head and walked into the store. Mrs. Harriett Olsen looked at me. I knew she didn't like me at all. 

"Mr. Gilbert, I'll tell Nels you are here. Wait here." She told me. I thanked her and I was looking around the store. Nels got him new women things for the store. I bet that was Harriett's doings. Poor Nels. 

"Brantley my boy. Come on in." Nels said to me. I walked over to him. 

"How are you doing Nels?" I asked him. Nels was the first person that I met when I first got off the mountain. 

"I'm good son. How's life up there treating you?" Nels asked me. 

"Good sir." I said to him. 

"Good. What did you bring me today?" Nels asked me. 

"I got 75 furs for you. Listen you do what you want with all of this, I still have a few places to go. I need to shave." I said to Nels. 

"Lars is open. He can you shave you up and the boy and I will have this unloaded for you." Nels told me. 

"Thank you Nels. I need 100 pounds of corn and 100 pounds of yeast." I told Nels. 

"It will be here in the wagon when you return." Nels told me.