Chapter 38

Chloe Grace Moretz as Zelda Jones 

Dalton's Pov 

I was out hunting for some rabbit on this nice spring morning. We should be in Jefferson by tonight. I'm going to go right to Dylan's place drop her off and leave. It's been a livin hell with Zelda and her son Cain. Don't get me wrong I would lay with her, but her son is right there with her at all times. If I don't get a with a woman in a few more days I'm going to blow up. I've never went this long without havin sex with someone whore or someone's wife. By the time I left this morning at 5, Zelda and Cain was sound asleep. As much I like to hunt, I would rather be in bed still sleeping. But we ran out of food yesterday and I need to feed them one more time before I can leave them. Just thinking about me sittin in a saloon with a young woman on my lap. 2 or 3 bottles of whiskey on my table. The best life. 

I walked over to the creek so I could get a drink of water when I saw a big rabbit drinking from the creek not even 20 feet away from me. I grabbed my pistol and I pointed my gun to the rabbit. One shot and the rabbit was gone. I walked over to my prize and looked at her. She will do good for Zelda, Cain and myself. I walked back too the camp ground. Wish I could think of a way too see mama before I leave again. She ain't getting any younger. And I would like too see her one more time just in case something might ever happen too me or her. I dropped the dead rabbit on the ground so I can start cutting the rabbit. As I was cuttin the rabbit up I saw Cain looking at me. I gave him a small smile. 

"Bunny." Cain said too me. I smiled at him. 

"Yep." I said too him. I was wrapping the meat up for all of us. Cain just looking and watching me. I saw in the Zelda waking up. Her long brown and blonde hair was all over her face. I looked back down at the rabbit. 

"Morning Cain." Zelda said too her son. You can see her little belly is starting too stick out just a little bit. 

"Morning mama. Look at the bunny." Cain said to his mama. 

""I see hon. Dalton you need me too do that for you." Zelda asked me. I looked at her. 

"No I got it. We will be going through Jefferson and I'm going too drop y'all off." I told them. Zelda looked at me. 

"Where are you going?" Zelda asked me. I looked at her. 

"I don't know yet." I told her. I went back to cutting the rabbit up. I'm still not sure what I should do when I get too Jefferson. I need too find Zelda a husband so I can get out of here. 

After we got done eating we loaded up the camp so we can get out of here. We should be in Jefferson by night fall. I took another look around before we all loaded up on Jasper. We was riding for 30 minutes when Cain fell asleep leaning on me. I smiled down at the kid. 

"When we get too Jefferson don't talk too any one." I told Zelda. She just looked down at the ground. 

"It's not that you can't talk too anyone, it's just I need too find you a husband before I leave. I'm not staying there. I don't have no reason to stay there." I said too Zelda. 

"I get it. And I'm sorry you have too do this." Zelda said to me. I didn't say nothing else. It's not her. Believe me it's not. It's the whole family thing. I don't want too see them and I don't want no one too see me in town. The sooner I can drop her and her kid off in town the sooner I can leave again and no one will have too know. 

For the next 3 hours I could hear Zelda humming and Cain was snorin and still leaning on me as he was sleeping. I looked over and saw the sign. 3 more miles then we will be in Jefferson.