Chapter 23

Brantley's Pov 

June 14, 1871

I was working on the new house on this long hot day. I got Otto working on the cattle pens today, so I took the chance to get more of the Cabin done. At this rate we will be moving in here by October. I want this to be everything Luci has ever dreamed of. Because this is the last house I'm building for a long time. I walked outside to cut more wood for the flooring. It's going to be another hot day. But after the long winter we just had I'm happy to be a little hot. Plus there's a creek down by the cabin here, so we can get cool off in the long hot summer months. I was about to walk inside the cabin when I heard voices and horse riding up to our new place. I grabbed my gun just to be safe. I don't trust lot of people out here. 

I walked closer to the path way in front of our home. I'm just glad Lydia and Luci ain't here yet. I want the floors and walls up before Luci get's to see this place. I looked and saw Miss Opal White and some man I've never seen before. 

"You are one hard man to find Brantley Gilbert." Miss White said to me. Now I wish my wife was here to deal with this woman. 

"What are you doing here ma'am?" I asked her. She got down from her horse and walked over to me. 

"Well, didn't that wife of your's tell you I wanted to talk to you. Oh well, she is a busy small woman. She forgets when it comes down to you Brantley." Miss White said to me. I looked at her. I can see why Luci don't care for this woman at all. I want to shot myself in the leg just by talking to her. 

"Luci is a good wife and a great mother. Don't speak to her like that in front of me again Miss White." I told her. The man that she is riding with looked down at me from his horse. 

"Now you better watch that mouth mister. Miss White is a lady." The man said to me. I looked right at him. I'll kill him instead of shooting myself in the leg now. 

"I don't see no lady. Now I need to get back to work. You can leave now." I said to them. I turned around so I can get started on the cabin again. 

"Brantley, please wait. I didn't mean it like that. I-- I just don't know why Mrs. Gilbert just don't like me. I mean I have never did---" I cut her off. I'll be damn if I let this woman talk bad about my wife. 

"You know what you did Miss White." I said to her. Miss White looked right me and took a few steps closer to me. 

"No I don't. I mean I have been nothing but nice to her and too your family Brantley." Miss White said to me. We all know that's not true.

"You took her job away from her. Now I'm telling you both, to get off my land. I have a home to finished up for my family." I said to them. Miss White smiled at me. 

"Yes well. I only came out here to offer you a job. My daddy and Mr. Blink need new---" I cut her off again. 

"No." I said to her. She looked at me. 

"No. Why not? Mr. Blink is willing to pay you $120 a month for working for him. That's why Mr. Samuel Jackson is riding with me. He is also going to work for my daddy and Mr. Blink." Miss white said to me. I looked right at her. 

"I said no. I will never work for that man nor will I ever work for you family. Now good day to you both. I have things to do." I said to her. I walked over to the front of the steps. 

"Nice place you got here. Sad if someone burns it down one day." Mr. Samuel Jackson said to me. I looked right at him. 

"You threatenin' me mister." I said to him walking over to him.