Chapter 34

Dylan's Pov 

I just got the rest of my things packed up for me too move into the cabin. Now that Mr. Ludwig gave me permission too marry his daughter, Etta is meeting me at the cabin today so she can see it. This will be her first time seeing the cabin. I just hope she likes it as much as I did building this home for her. I've spent a lot of nights thinking about Etta and I in this cabin. This is where we will raise our babies in. In the past 3 weeks since I've talked too Mr. Ludwig things are doing really good. Lydia and Cap have 3 young boys they are raising, who mama and pa are crazy about. I'm moving into my own place. And I got a letter from Dalton. I hate too say this, but I do miss him more then I thought I would. But he is working hard making his way too Oregon. 

I walked out of my old bedroom with the last bag of my things. This will be the last time I'm going too be staying in this house. Dalton and I have spent the last 15 years living in this bedroom together. Now that Dalton is gone and I'm moving away mama is going too have another empty room. I walked over too my brothers rooms and saw JJ and Henry haven't cleaned there room in a while. I shut the door so mama wouldn't come in and see it. I'll tell them too clean it before I leave. 

I heard everyone talking outside so I walked into the kitchen too look around one more time. I'm going too miss mama's cooking. But the second I marry Etta I know she will be cooking just like her mama and my mama. I walked over to the kitchen table that pa, Dalton and I made for mama for her birthday when we was only 6 years old. The past couple of weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking and I wish Dalton was here too help me. But I know he is doing good. Just wish things would turned out different for him and pa. Pa still won't talk about Dalton or have his name said in his home. I know mama's heart is breaking but she won't say a world. Well, she might too Lydia, but not too us boys. 

After I was done looking around I walked outside and saw my family. Mama was holding baby Noah in her arms with Lydia and Dorothy Mae cooing over the baby. Pa and Cap talking about work mostly. Abraham, Otis and Edwin are all playing. JJ and Henry are talking to each other. Seeing witch one of the boys gets mine and Dalton's old room. I smiled at Maw who got up and walked over too me. 

"I'm going too miss you so much Dylan." Maw said too me. I smiled at her. She and Percival were the closest things too a grandparents us Gilbert kids had growing up I pulled Maw into my arms. God I'm going too miss this woman so much. All the great stories she told us growing up. About her and Percival's life. About there sons.  

"I love you Maw and you will see me again." I told her. Pa walked over too us. He might have some gray hair in his beard, but he is still the same man I've seen all of my life. Pa hold out his hand for me. I shook his hand. 

"Oh I know it's just I remember when my Percy first saw you and then when your pa told him he named the baby Dylan Percival that made him love you that much more." Maw told me. I smiled at her. I was just a small child when Percival died but he was always around. He was pa's best friend just like Mrs. Cobb was mama's. They are needed each other. Plus Maw helped mama with all of us kids. 

"I miss him too Maw." I said too her. I kissed her head. 

"Son, you got everything. It's not like you can't come back. You can come back anytime you want son." Pa told me. I looked at him. I knew he was telling me all of this, but deep, deep down I knew he was wishing he was telling Dalton all of this. I wish they wasn't so much alike. 

"I know pa. And hey we will see each other all the time. You are my boss." I told him. Pa smiled at me. He pulled me into his big arms. I wrapped my arms around him as well.