Chapter 19

Luci's Pov 

I was washing the dishes at Mr and Mrs. Cobb's home. I've been over at the school house helping Doc Addison, and some of the women in town helping with the sick. Doc turned the church into a hospital for the sick. Brantley and Otto left here 2 days ago and still haven't returned yet. Mrs. Cobb keeps telling me to stay busy and that will help with the pain of not knowing where Brantley and Otto are at, or worst, if they are still alive or not. I can't think about that now. I have a baby to think about and I know my husband he will be here soon. It's only a waiting game from here on out. 

I walked out of the kitchen to cheek up on Lydia who was sleeping in her crib in the living room of Mr. and Mrs. Cobb's living room. They have been so sweet for letting Lydia and myself stay here. Minnie and Bessie are safe and warm in Mr. Cobb's barn. So glad he went to our house to get them. I walked over to the window and saw more people running into the church. I pray that Brantley and Otto get here soon. So far we have lost 6 people. I didn't really know 5 of them but when I heard Sally Matthews crying I knew she must lost someone in her family. Poor Sally just lost her mama from the fever. 

I heard my baby girl cooing so I walked over to her and see what she was doing. Little Lydia was looking at the spot on the ceiling smiling from ear to ear. Whatever she see's must be a good Angel. Mrs. Cobb told me that babies can see the Angel more then we can as adults. Whoever this Angel is must be a family member. Either my mama or Brantley's mama. Whoever it is they are doing me a big favor. All I can think of is Brantley and Otto out there. cold, lost and going nuts. The snow got to 6 feet high from last night till 7 in the morning. It's only 21 degrees outside. 

Wish Brantley was here with Lydia and myself. Safe and warm and I wish we was back home in our small cabin, food cookin on the stove. Brantley playing his guitar for Lydia and Minnie. I'm humming along in the kitchen. I want all of this to be over. I sat down so I can cry again. All I've been doing is crying. Not just for my family but for everyone that the fever got and to all of there families. 

The tea pot went off. I got up and walked into the kitchen to get me a cup of tea. Mr. Cobb is helping the men getting more wood for the school house, while Mrs. Cobb is helpin Doc Addison today. When Mrs. Cobb get's here I'll go over to the church house for a few hours to help Doc out. But until Otto and Brantley get back with the meds there ain't much we can do. 

I was in the kitchen when I heard the front door opened. I looked and saw Mr. Cobb walking in. He looked like he was beat with a hammer. He sat down in his chair in the living room. I got him a cup of hot tea. 

"Nellie still with Doc?" Mr. Cobb asked me. I sat his cup down on his table by his chair. 

"Yes sir. Do you want me to go and get her for you?" I asked him. Mr and Mrs. Cobb have been nothing but a God send to my family. There is no way we can ever repay them with all of the stuff they helped us out. 

"No. I know Doc needs her more then I do right now. How's Ms. Lydia doin on this cold day?" Mr. Cobb asked me. I looked down at my baby and smiled. 

"She's fine. Laughin at somethin on y'all's ceilin." I told him. 

"Must be one of your mama's keepin a good eye on there granddaughter." Mr. Cobb told me. I smiled at him. I know he is right, but my mama or Brantley's mama will have there hands full with this baby when she get's older. I hope and pray she lives till an old age. I have that pray for all of my children. I want them all to be old by the time they get to heavens door. 

"I think your right Mr. Cobb. Why don't you go and get some rest. Once Mrs. Cobb get's here I'll tell her that you are in bed resting." I told him. Mr. Cobb looked at me and smiled.