Chapter 26

Lydia's Pov 

I was laying in bed not wanting to get up at all. It's been 3 days since I found out that Anderson is working for my daddy and let me tell you this much I'm in a better mood because of that. I need to be getting up so I can help mama feed everyone before we go to church. I got out of bed and wrapped my shawl around me as I walked out of my room. I'm so glad we don't have to use the outhouse any more. Daddy and Mr. Ludwig built us a inside restroom. Thanks to mama and Mrs. Ludwig that's why. 

After I went to the bathroom I walked over to the kitchen and saw mama was up already drinking on her coffee. I walked over to the sink so I can wash my hands before I get me a small cup of coffee. After I got my cup I sat down next to mama. She looked at me and smiled. 

"You are up early." Mama told me. I looked at her. What time is it then, I was wondering?

"It's only 5 in the morning why can't you sleep." Mama asked me. I took a sip from my coffee. 

"I can't sleep. You." I asked her. I already know what she is going to say. 

"I'm old and I have so many worries to think about." Mama told me. Told you. 

"What is worrying you so mama?" I asked her. Mama smiled at me. 

"I don't know. Woke up with this funny feeling." Mama told me. I looked at her. Mama is one of the bravest women I've ever got to know in my life. Look at her, she does it all. Works, takes care of 6 children, and keep my papa in line. That right there is a job. 

"Maybe you and pa are havin another baby." I said to her. Mama looked at me. 

"We better not. No ma'am. I told that old man 6 children and that's what we have. No more babies from me. But you my dear when am I going to become a grandmother." Mama asked me. Most girls I went to school with are happily married or married with a babe or two. I'm 18 years old and I'm still single. 

"Mama, you might have go wait on the twins or the younger children before you become a grandmother." I told her. Mama held my hand. 

"Why don't you think you'll ever get married love. I know there's someone out there that is going to love you and---" I cut mama off. 

"Do mean like fat girls mama." I asked her. Mama looked at me and gave a sad smile. 

"Honey you are not fat. Yes you are bigger then most girls, but you aren't fat at all." Mama told me. I smiled at her. 

"Mama, I've tried everything. Might as well face it, I'll be living here with you and papa for ever." I told my mama. 

"Well that works for me. I love you Lydia Genevieve." Mama said to me. I smiled at her. 

"I love you too mama. I'm going to get dressed then I'll help you with breakfast." I told my mama, getting up. 

"Who knows maybe Cap would be your husband." Mama told me. As much as I do like Anderson, he don't want me. Look at me. I'm short and fat. And he's very nice looking. He's tall. His dark blond hair. His blue eye, and the capped eye make me weak at times. 

"Mama, Anderson and I are just friends. Plus I don't know if pa would like that." I told her. Mama smiled at me. 

I walked out of the kitchen, heading to the steps when I heard noises outside. I walked out to the front deck and saw someone walking into the barn. I don't know why I walked off the deck without a weapon, but I did. As I was getting closer to the barn door I heard a voice coming from the inside.