Chapter 24

Abigail Breslin as Lydia Genevieve Gilbert

The Gilbert's birth record 

Brantley Keith Gilbert born January 20th, 1836

Luci Jo James-Gilbert born April 22nd, 1852

Lydia Genevieve Gilbert born September 8th, 1870

Dalton Keith Gilbert born November 21st, 1875

Dylan Percival Gilbert born November 21st, 1875

Josiah James Gilbert born August 9th, 1879

Henry Robert Gilbert born March 24th, 1882

Dorothy Mae Gilbert born June 3rd, 1886

Lydia's Pov

Summer of 1888

I was sitting in my room at the Gilbert Ranch where I have spent seemed to be for my whole life. I looked outside and saw my brother's all outside working. Papa and Mr. Ludwig went to drive the cattle to sell. Mama said they should be back today, but after the long rain we had I think it won't be until sometime tomorrow. I just hope papa is okay. He's not as young as he used to be. Papa just turned 52 and he thinks he can out work a much younger man. Sad thing is he can. I looked down at my sewing. I'm fixing up the boys pants. Dalton and Dylan are always puttin new holes in their pants. 

I got up to walk out of my room. I can hear mama and Dorothy Mae singing in the kitchen. I love hearing mama sing to us. She was always singing to us. We still hear her at night when we are all in bed. Her and papa singing and dancing around the house. The love they have for each other is the best thing. I can't wait till I find the right man and give him all of my love. I walked into the kitchen and watched as my mama and my 2 year old sister Dorothy Mae singing and dancing in the kitchen. Mama always made us dance with her when we was younger. Heck we still do. 

As I was watching my mama that's when it hit me. I walked away before mama could see me. I'm never going to be as beautiful and as thin as my mama. I mean the woman bore 6 children and 2 of her kids are twins and the woman is smaller then me. I'm just a fat 18 year old pig. No wonder I don't have a courtship. Most men want smaller women to love them. I was almost up the steps when mama stopped me. 

"There's my girl. Come here and help me. I'm make your pa's favorite." Mama said to me. I looked down at her since I'm on the steps, but once I get down to the floor mama and me both stand at the same. I might be one inch taller. Mama's 5'0 and I'm 5'1. Both of us have long blond hair. Just like little Dorothy Mae. Josiah James is the only Gilbert boy with blond hair. Dalton, Dylan, and Henry all have dark brown hair like papa. 

"Mama do you think pa will be home today." I asked her as I walked behind her as we walked into the kitchen. Mama looked over at me. 

"I know he will. Plus the man loves my fried chicken." Mama said to me. I smiled at her. 

"Listen once you get married you have this feeling inside---" I cut mama off. 

"Mama boys don't look at me." I said to her. Mama looked down at Dorothy who was playing with her rag doll. 

"Honey, there is someone out there for you. And when he comes up you will know what I'm telling you more." Mama said to me. Only if she really knew that the only reason why boys talked to me in school was because I was bigger in some places and bloomed first didn't help me. One night I went to bed with no breast then I woke up the next day with way to much. And for two I'm a Gilbert. Papa owns so much ranch land and timber land I can't tell you how much land and money pa has made since we got here all them years back.