Chapter 33

Dylan's Pov 

It's been a long month since my twin brother Dalton rode off too Oregon for work. In the past month I've been working more and more on the cabin. In fact as of next week I'll be moving into it.  I'm going to get the last couple things done before I have Etta move in here. I'm meeting Mr. Ludwig today and show him the cabin and ask for his permission to marry his eldest daughter. I've been up all night thinking and trying to find the right words to ask this big question. All I can do is pray and trying to stay calm. I walked out of the my bedroom so I can hurry up and get to the cabin before Mr. Ludwig gets there. As I walked into the dinning room I heard mama and Lydia talking. 

"Morning ladies." I said to my mama and my big sister. I gave my mama a kiss on her cheek. Then I kissed Lydia on her forehead. This is the best and worst day in my life. They both looked at me and smiled. 

"Morning Dylan. You seem to be in a great mood." My oldest sister asked me. I smiled at her. 

"I am. Today is the day I asked Mr. Ludwig for his daughters hand. Up all night thinking on this." I said to mama and Lydia. Mama smiled at me. 

"Son you have known Otto all of your life. He knows how you feel about his daughter." Mama said to me smiling her big pretty mothering smile at me. I looked down at her. 

"Your right. Thanks mama" I said to her. I got me a cup of coffee and sat down at the table. 

"So Lydia hows the baby making going." I asked my sister. Lydia looked at me and walked out of the kitchen. 

"Lydia, wait." Mama said to her, but Lydia walked out of the house. I looked at mama and she smiled at me. 

"Mama, I didn't---" Mama cut me off. 

"Oh I know hon. It's just her and Cap just can't do it. All we do is pray for your sister and Cap. If anyone is needed to be a mama it's Lydia. Now eat up. You have a busy day." Mama said to me. She gave me a plate of food and before long I was done and walking outside. Mama told me pa and Cap went to the mill at 5 in the morning. It's only 6 now. After I was done eating and I got a few things done around the farm that pa needed me too do I was on my way too my cabin. 

I was up on the roof fixing the chimney when I looked down and saw someone riding up. I got a better looked and saw it was Mr. Ludwig. I jumped off the roof so I can talk too him. 

"Well, I'll be damn son this place is looking good." Mr. Ludwig said too me. I shook his hand. 

"Thank you sir. A lot of work but it's going too be home." I said to Mr. Ludwig. Otto was looking around the small cabin. 

"Doors have locks on them." He asked me. I looked right at him. 

"Yes sir. And the window's open up on nice spring days." I told him. 

"I see. Big kitchen for a young man who don't cook." Mr. Ludwig told me. I looked around and yeah it was a good size kitchen, but that's the one thing Etta wanted in this cabin. A big kitchen so she can do all the cooking. 

"Yeah it is sir." I told him. Mr. Ludwig walked around the cabin. Now is my chance too do this. 

"Sir, the reason I asked you here is because, well you see, I'm 18 years old and I have a good job and--" Mr. Ludwig cut me off. 

"Etta is going too love this place." Mr. Ludwig said too me. I looked at him. 

"How did you know I wanted too marry Etta?" I asked him. Otto smiled at me.