Chapter 3

Luci's wedding ring that belonged to Brantley's mama.

Brantley's Pov 

I'm outside hunting for wild game so I can get a head start before winter get's here. Yes I know it's still March, but you never know about the weather. For the past 2 weeks I've been working on cutting the tress down before winter. My dream is to have everything done before the first snow falls. So far I've been tracking down a buck so I can get the meat for Luci and myself, but I want the hide so I can sell it to Mr. Olsen, the next time we are going to town. But that will be in a few more months. Luci and I have been married for 2 weeks and 3 days so far. My cabin looks brand new every time I walk in there. Luci is one of the best cooks I've ever met in my life. Plus I'm starting to fall her more and more. I still haven't laid with her, but we cuddle and now she kisses me anytime she wants. I didn't never think I would want to be a married man, or having another person living with me. I've been on my own way to long, but with Luci, she just fits with me. 

I was on the back side of the mountain. I woke up at 3 in the morning and wrote Luci a not saying I would be hunting and I won't be back until I get us some more meat, I hope she isn't to mad at me. Why am I even thinking like that. I'm a grown man. I was in the Army. I've killed hundreds of men and I hope my wife isn't mad at me. Grow some balls Gilbert. You are the man of this mountain. 

I was about to shot at the buck when I saw a big black bear watching me from my left side. I remembered Doc Jackson wanted a bear blanket. I was trying not to make any fast moves, when I saw the bear standing on his back two legs. I'm a tall man. I stand at 6'3 but this bear was at least 8 feet high and a good 700 pounds. I moved over so I could get a good shot of the bear but the bear ran at me. I shot it right in the shoulder The bear's paw smacked into my back. I yelled in pain when I felt the bears claws cut opened my back. I feel on the ground, the bear was biting on my back, but not until the bear stuck his claws over my chest when I heard another gun went off. The bear died right next to me. 

"Brantley are you okay." It was David. I'm so glad he was here. 

"David, is that you." I asked him. I was starting to get more and more sleepy. 

"Hey, hey, hey, you need to stay with me. Wow, there is a lot of blood your loosing." David said to me. I looked at him. 

"What did you expect? The son of bitch was eating me." I said to him. Man I wish I had a glass of whiskey right now. Or have my Luci here. 

"Thank God I was over this way with the boys. We need to get you home." David said to me. 

"I need this bear. I told Doc---" That's all I remember before everything went black, and I felt my head hit the ground. 

Luci's Pov

I was sitting outside waiting on Brantley to come back from hunting, and when he does I'm going off on him. Writing me a note. Went huntin' be home later. Well, if he is going to be going hunting he will start waking me up before he does this. I'm so mad at him I could just clean this cabin again. But then what's the point. The cabin is all cleaned up. I looked down at my small belly and smiled. I can't wait until this baby get's here. I know she or he will be so muched loved by me, they won't even care if they don't have a pa to help raise them. But at the same time I wish I could be really happy with Brantley. I just know he is doing all of this to help me out. And I'm forever in his debt, but I wish I wasn't. 

I walked back inside the cabin when I heard a dog barking. I walked back outside and saw a dog barking at me. 

"Hi there baby." I said to the dog.