Chapter 21

A/N

The school house and the church is the picture on the top of the page. This is where Doc Addison, Luci, Mrs. Cobb and the other women are taking care of the sick. 

Luci's Pov 

I was sitting at my desk at the school. Doc Addison and Mrs. Cobb are helping with a young woman who is sick. Brantley and Otto need to be getting here quick. So far we have lost 10 people from this fever. Don't help that it is only 12 degrees outside. More then half of the town is living in this school. We have 7 rooms all together in this school, and every single room is full with sick people. Poor Sally Matthews is dealing with a lot right now, but she still had time to watch over my Lydia for me when I need to help Doc Addison. I got up and looked outside of the window and I saw more people coming in. At this rate we will loose over half of the town if Brantley and Otto don't get here soon. They have been gone for 4 days now and with all the snow we are getting it will be that much harder for them to get to us. 

I walked over to my desk to get ready to sit down when the door opened up and I saw Rev Meyers walking in. I looked at him and I knew he was sick. 

"Rev Meyers are you okay." I walked over to him. Before he could say anything he couch up blood. 

"I'm sorry sorry Luci." He told me. 

"Don't be. Your sick. Come with me." I said to him. I walked out of my classroom and saw Mrs. Cobb sitting down crying. 

"Mrs. Cobb is everything--" Mrs. Cobb cut me off. 

"Yes. Rev Meyers you need to lay down. Luci over there. I'll go and get the doctor." Mrs. Cobb got up and walked down the hall way to get Doc. 

"Now Rev Meyers I need you to get better. You are the only minster that my Brantley likes." I told him. He coughed again. 

"I'll try Mrs. Gilbert." Rev Meyers told me. Doc and Mrs. Cobb walked over to us. 

"I'll take care of Meyers here, ladies please go and sit down. I can't have my two best nurses getting sick on me." Doc said to us. 

"Well now that you said it Addison, I think I will sit down for a few. Luci, can I talk to you for a minute. In private please." Mrs. Cobb asked me. I looked up at her. 

"Yes ma'am. Don't worry Rev you are in good hands. We are blessed to have a great town doctor." I told him. Mrs. Cobb and I walked out of the room. I followed Mrs. Cobb into my classroom. 

"Mrs. Cobb is everything okay." I asked her. 

"No dear Mr. Cobb is getting sick." Mrs. Cobb broke into a crying spell. I wrapped my arms around her. 

"Where is he at? I can go get him--" Mrs. Cobb cut me off. 

"He's off with the men getting more wood. Oh Luci what will I do if my Percy is called home. I can't live with out that man. He's my only love." Mrs. Cobb said to me while she was crying her eyes out. 

"Maybe he don't have---" Mrs. Cobb cut me off. 

"He does. He's had it since yesterday. But there's not enough meds for everyone so he just takes whatever we have." Mrs. Cobb told me. 

"Dear God we need that medicine so bad." I said to her. 

"Luci, I'm going to ask you one time and if you say no that's fine. I'll just leave it to the good Lord to help me try and find one of my sons, but if Mr. Cobb pass on could I live with you." Mrs. Cobb asked me. I looked at her.