Chapter 13

Luci's Pov 

I just got breakfast done in time for Brantley and I to go into town to see the land office to see where our new land. Brantley and I had a long talk about moving out west to Oregon, but when we went through Kansas both Brantley and I were both done with the wagon train. So we left on our own. Just one man, one woman and one new born baby. I've givin birth to a small baby girl, before we left Missouri. But 5 weeks of traveling with a new born baby we decide to found our own way in life. So 3 days ago we left the wagon train. Lydia Genevieve Gilbert was born 2 days before we left to go west. The night when Lydia was born, Brantley went to get the doctor, but by the time he found him, Lydia was already born. Doc said she was a small baby only weighting in at 5 pounds and 18 inches long. But she can eat. The first time Brantley held her I saw him change right in front of me. He loves being a daddy to a baby girl. He still the same old mountain man, but now his heart is full of love for both Lydia and myself.

I just got done washing the dishes, while Brantley is packing up the wagon. It's only been 5 weeks since Brantley, The McRoys family and I all left the mountain. I hope and pray that they are safe, and I wounder if Meadow and I will ever see each other again I looked up at the sky and saw ducks flying over us. We've may only been traveling with the wagon train for 5 weeks, but that was enough for me and my family. 

"Well, Darlin we are ready when you are. Ain't we baby girl." Brantley asked his 5 week old daughter. She is already a daddies girl. So glad that I married this man. 

"Well, I'm ready to move into a home. After this Gilbert, I'm never living in a wagon again." I told him. Brantley pulled me over to him and Lydia. 

"And after this you will never live in a wagon again." Brantley said to me. He bent down to my level and gave me a kiss. 

"Good. It's getting closer to winter do you think we can--" Brantley cut me off. 

"What did I tell you woman? You don't have to worry about nothin. All you have to do is take care of that home once I get you there. I'll take care of everything else." Brantley said to me. And he is right. He's a great husband, a great hunter, and now he's a great father to Lydia. When Brantley found out what her name was he began to cry a little. It take a real man to cry in front of his wife. But I got the best man. 

"Yes Dear." I told him. I walked over to the wagon with Minnie. I climbed up the wagon. Brantley who is much taller then me just handed me my daughter. She opened up her eyes at me. Her bright blue eyes were just looking at me. 

"Mommy loves you baby." I said to her. I kissed her tiny cheek. 

"Well, I need to get my girls home." Brantley said to me. I looked at him. 

"We are ready to go home. Aren't we girls." I asked Lydia and Minnie. Lydia just shut her eyes on me. Minnie barked at Brantley. 

"Well, you heard her pa. Get us home." I told him. Brantley kissed me on my lips. 

"I can't wait until we have more of these." He told me. I smiled at him. 

"Not anytime soon. I want her to be a baby for as long as we can let her." I told him. 

"Well I was hoping we could try in 3 or 4 years to have another baby." Brantley told me. I smiled at him. 

"I would like that Dear." I told him. Brantley smiled at me. 

"Come on lets go to town and see about that land office." Brantley told me. As we was driving the team and Bessie into town Brantley was telling me all about his big plans for the new home that we was going to built. For now we are going to stay in the small cabin just for winter but next spring we are braking ground for the new home.