Chapter 17

Luci's Pov

I was getting ready for my first day teaching the children here in Jefferson. I've always wanted to be a teacher, but growing up with my papa I never got that chance. But here I am 18 years old and teaching for the first time. I hope I can do a real nice job with everyone. The last thing I need is someone coming here and yelling at me for not doing a good job on teaching there children. I walked over to my mirror to make sure I my hair was okay. I know how much Brantley loves for my hair to stay down, but today I'm not just going to be at home with Lydia. Not today is the day I became a teacher. 

I walked out of the bedroom to see my daughter laying on the floor with Minnie licking the top of her head. Poor kid has no hair at all yet. But she's only 3 months old. I am so glad that Mrs. Cobb is going to watch Lydia for me. I told her yesterday after church that I would run over to the store tomorrow during my lunch break to feed her again. But Mrs. Cobb is going to try her on milk when I'm not there. I just hope my baby will be able to handle it. Plus this is only for a few weeks. 

I walked over to my daughter and picked her up. 

"Morning baby girl. I see your pa put you down here to play with Minnie." I said to my 3 month old daughter. I know she can't talk back to me, but she does make me the happiest woman alive. I'm so thankful for this small tiny blessing. 

"You are going to be a good girl for Mrs. Cobb won't you baby." I said to my daughter. I sat her in her little crib that Brantley made for her. I need to get Brantley's and mine lunch made. I looked at the clock on the wall and saw it was already 7:33 in the morning. I need to hurry. I walked over to the door and opened it. 

"Brantley! We need to be leaving." I yelled for my husband. I saw him walk out of the barn. 

"I'm getting the team ready. You get Lydia ready I'll be done in a few!" Brantley yelled at me. I looked at him. 

"Don't be yelling at me like that Mr. Gilbert!" I yelled back at him, smiling from ear to ear. 

"Whatever you say Darlin!" Brantley yelled back. It's starting to get cooler already. I hate this winter. I walked back into the cabin, so I can get my purse, Lydia's bag that I'm giving to Mrs. Cobb to keep at her place. I walked over to Lydia and wrapped her up in her blanket. I'm so glad Brantley got her dressed for me, so I can get ready for myself. I walked out of the cabin in time to see Brantley pulling right up to the cabin. I handed Lydia over to her father so I can climb into this big wagon. I hate only being 5'0. Sad my husband is 6'5. 

"You got everything Darlin." Brantley asked me, handing Lydia back over to me. I pulled the blanket over her face more so she wouldn't be breathing this colder air. I hate that we have to do this. Keep getting Lydia in and out of this cold. It's only 39 digress outside, but she's still a baby. 

"Yes I do. And you can still give me a ride home right." I asked Brantley. 

"Yes I will Darlin. I got to pick you and Lydia up at the store right. Or at the Church. I forgot." Brantley said to me. I looked at him. Oh how I love this man so much. 

"At the store. Did you smoke before we left the cabin Dear." I asked him. Ever since I found out Brantley smokes what he calls weed I've been keeping a close eye on him. He told me that the Indians where smoking it for hundreds of years, but I just want to know. 

"I knew I should have just kept that one small secret to myself." Brantley said to himself. I looked at him. 

"I'm glad you told me Dear. There is no secret's in our marriage and I love you for that." I told him. My mama was always telling my pa the truth and all it got her was beat until he killed her. But I know Brantley wouldn't hurt me or Lydia or any of our other children we will be having when the good Lord thinks it's time for us to have another child.