Chapter 20 - Wine Time

JENNIFER POV

I was at the local grocery store trying to pick out wine for my evening in with Alexia; last night had been the total opposite of how I expected it to go. 

First the whole plane scenario - Daniel sends her a text on the plan and her whole face lights up; she tries to hide it from me, and then states that they're just friends after trying to hook me up with him. 

It kind of hurt when he rejected me, not that I was too invested or anything, but Lex make it seem like I actually stood a chance when, in fact, she was the one occupying all of his attention. I don't blame her for what happened that night or him for being worried, it just would have been nice not to have to compete with that, you know?

Then while she was away Mike and I started chatting at work and via text at night. He was being flirtatious with me and we had made an agreement to make plans soon. I'm not stupid, I know that he is a player, but he was being really sweet with me and after a couple of weeks of talking I thought we might stand a chance. 

When we were on the plane I was aware that Lex and mike normally sit together that was fine with me as I had work to do anyway, but the way they were flirting was driving me crazy. I put it down to me being jealous and reading too much into the situation, but then last night happened. 

It wasn't her fault, I guess I didn't actually tell her about what was going on with me and Mike, but I didn't expect her to ditch me for a guy this early after her breakup. It was completely out of character, and then to leave with him too? That's crazy, what the hell was she thinking?

I really don't want to think about what happened when they left the club, but I was sort of thankful that the situation turned out that way. Daniel, Nico and I had a really great time. Dan was completely devastated by her actions and so was I, more so at Mike though - he knew that I liked him and that she was in a vulnerable place and still decided to through with his plans right IN FRONT of me! 

I haven't spoken to him since and don't intend to either. The night's events allowed Daniel and I to get to know each other a bit better; my hopes were heightened slightly when Nico left him and I alone in his hotel room, but our time together didn't last long as he excused himself to get to bed.

Suddenly, I had a thought and pulled my phone out of my bag to call Alexia

"Hello, Alexia speaking"

"Hey, so about tonight-"

"Oh don't tell me you're ditching me!" She cut me off, pfft me ditch her?

"Oh, like you did last night?" I snapped back at her before I could stop myself. Kind of interested in her reaction though...

"Wow, so that's how this is going to be? I told you I'm sorry about what happen Jen." She said with a hint of attitude.

"Yeah, yeah. Actually, no, I'm not ditching. I was just thinking since we were planning on drinking wine anyway, why don't we go to that beautiful cafe down the road for supper instead? That way tonight doesn't have to be a late one either" I suggested.

There was silence for a moment, "Ah.. yeah. Sure. That sounds great, looks like it's going to be a beautiful night in any case. What time should we meet in the lobby?"

"Great! How does six-thirty work for you?"

"Perfect, I'll see you then!"

"Okay, Lex see you then!"

I can't help but feel like something has changed between her and I. Ever since her breakup with Ryan, she's been distant and telling strangers more details about her private life than her own best friend. It looks like I've got quite a few things that need to be addressed with her, she's just not the same person anymore.