Chapter 30 - Disclosure

Where's the door?

I ran towards the direction I had seen it as my white lace gown trailed behind me.

The floorboards were dark and the roof was closing in.

The bed had disappeared and the vines were creeping along the walls, stripped of blue paint.

The windows coated in black.

Pinned between four walls, I was trapped

I looked down, his soft curls - I could feel them against my cheek. The stubble on his jaw grazed my fingertips as I brushed my nails against his skin. He was holding me. I sat back and looked up and those brown eyes stared back at me with such love.

I blinked and when I opened my eyes again he was moving towards the distance. Like tunnel vision, the hallway grew and the wooden floorboards extended.

The roof, moving towards the sky.

The windows, the sun was beginning to shine through them.

The door flew open and I was back in the bed.

"Lex?" Jamie called from the doorway.

I was in an unfamiliar bed, in a very small room. Drenched in sweat I was reminded that I was no longer in the dreary UK, in fact, it was summer and I was in Monaco. "Monaco... Jamie!"

"Hi! What happened to you?" He said perplexed by the state of my being. "Weird dream," I answered while blinking away all reminisce. Jamie's brow furrowed further for a second, but he knew better than to ask me about it.

"Yeah? How so?" Fuck, at least I thought he wouldn't mention it... "Forgot I was here that's all." I replied while tossing my hair into a messy bun. When he didn't reply I looked back up at him to see why he was here in the first place, waking me up was not something he normally did.

He looked as though he was about to say something but then thought better of it. "Right. Yeah, so... You'll need to getting ready soon. We're going to be spending the day on a yacht that Nic organised with the company. There's going to be lots of cocktails for you and jet skis for us, so get your butt moving."

Immediately I was taken back to the last time we visited the harbour, through a photograph that sat on the dressing table. Jamie and.. Ryan walking, I made them stop and pose, with their matching outfits and rugby ball in tow, on the way to spend the day on one of those tour boats.

My brother had just moved to France and we were helping him settle into his new flat. It was a perfect day despite the fact that Ryan had gotten seasick and we had to leave early, but it was the last time we had spent together before everything went to shit.

I hadn't expected Jamie to have thrown out anything that reminded me of Ryan, but neither did I expect to find a picture of him in the room I was staying in.. and that's when it hit me. 

"Earth to Alexia!"Jamie was waving his hands in front of my face like ground control in front of an incoming plane. "Yeah.. um, I'm not really feeling too great. Could we maybe reschedule for Friday or something?" I wanted to go, but it had just occurred to me how selfish I had been and without confronting the situation head-on I had no intention of putting anyone else through the turmoil that's suddenly overthrown my nervous system.

"Right, well Nico is waiting for us in the living room. I'll let him know that we are cancelling today's plans then." He walked off looking quite pissed off and I wasn't wrong when I heard his aggressive footsteps against the floorboards all the way down the passage.