Chapter 21 - Sight Seeing

Before the race on Sunday morning, Daniel invited me to join at the hotel restaurant for breakfast with his parents. I was definitely surprised by the invite, thinking that by meeting them I'd just be introduced in the garage or at the motorhome later, but no no - Daniel will make this as awkward as possible.

His folks were lovely warm people with smiles bigger than Daniel's; (if that's even possible) Grace, his mom, gushed over the bright yellow suit I chose to wear. She said if she were younger that's exactly the kind of thing she'd be wearing; Joe, Daniel's dad was a man of few words but complemented my "hearty appetite" when I chose a full English over a salad as Dan and Grace did. He said that I'd get along with the family in Italy just fine.

I loved every moment of it and for a moment I forgot that Daniel and I weren't on the best terms, I smiled more in that hour and a half than I have in over two weeks. Soon after the meal was finished Daniel had to leave for some last minute training and I had a meeting with Jeremy and the team to prep for the day so we said our goodbyes and I promised them both that we'd do it again.

After a surprising performance by both of the cars, we had a Q&A on the main stage at the track that we live streamed on the Instagram page. Jeremy was running around Nico's phone and I held both Daniel's and mine. It was chaos, but we got some great content for everyone.

The team had an early flight this morning so nobody really went out the night before, this gave me the perfect opportunity to get a decent run in and witness one of the most beautiful sunsets. I had this ridiculous idea creep up on me that only one thing could make the moment better... As usual, I threw that shit right out the window and made a mental note to down a glass of wine if it happened again.

-

It's been Monday for officially three hours and fifteen minutes, 'why are you awake at 03:15 Alexia?' you may ask - Well, Self Conscious, there's this fucking nerve wrecking conversation I might, or might not have to have with a guy who I might or might not like, who might or might not like me and this conversation may or may not influence whether or not I lose one of the bests friends I've EVER HAD - this scares the SHIT out of me because I don't have a very good track record of reacting well when people exit my life...especially when the reason they leave is because of something I've done, therefore sleeping has been a slight issue.

I'm gOoo....oing crazy! Maybe I've already gone there...Oh my god just STOOOOOP!

When I checked my phone again it started ringing...

Daniel.

Breathe...

"Hey, you!"

"Hey there perdy lady!" I could hear the smile in his voice. "Rough night?"

"Ah, kinda. I've haven't gotten to that sleep thing us humans need to do to live yet."

"You didn't sleep at all? Do you want to make a raincheck on today?"

"No! No.. I'm fine. I still want to do today, I need to." Even I could pick up the eagerness in my voice, Fuck I'm pathetic! He started laughing like a loon.

"Guess, that answers my question then!"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm suffering from sleep deprivation. I don't know what I'm saying. Don't be a meanie."

"Me? A meanie? I would never," he mocked.

"Ah, the sarcasm is real"

"Okay, but really now. Do you want to sleep in for a bit, because I was thinking we do breakfast, lunch and supper, but If you're tired I don't think I could take the mental and physical abuse from you - shit Alexia. I'm so sorry that was extremely fucked up of me to say. I didn't mean it!"