Chapter 34 - Sparks Fly

DANIEL POV

After I dropped Cass off at the airport I drove straight home and got back into bed, she had spent her last night on my couch, trying whatever she could to wriggle her way into my bed. She had rented her house out or I don't know some shit - I hadn't really heard anything she had to say after I'd seen Lex.

She was finally in Monaco at the same time I was and we both had some time off. A few weeks ago I would've probably been the one to fetch her from the airport and take her to lunch, but we've been distant ever since we left Spain. 

I've been such a coward. I guess most of this distance between Alexia and I is because of me and my inability to confront my feelings for her.

When I spoke to Nico about it all those months ago I was convinced it was just lust and the fact that I hadn't gotten any in so long, but that time we spent in Barcelona changed everything. 

I was sure we were about to kiss on the beach and then again in the hotel when we.. well, but I realised how stupid I was being to think that I even stood a chance, especially if she wasn't interested. She fucked Mike for fuck's sakes! If that's not a kick to the nutsack I don't know what is.

At least I assume she did, that question was never really answered.. Anyways so I guess I started putting some distance between us because I thought it would be easier to be around her if I wasn't involved anymore. Plus seeing her in those tiny bikinis she owns would be my downfall.

Alexia and I had become such close friends so quickly I never really had the time to think about what I was getting myself into... She didn't exactly leap at the chance to see me either that's why when I saw a beautifully familiar brunette pondering her existence through the veins of a cabbage, I couldn't resist.

Her stance was standoffish while we got the pleasantries out of the way. I watched as she wandered from store to store interacting with the local farmers, sweetly helping an elderly lady fill her basket with goods she bought. 

I caught her looking at me over her shoulder a couple of times, when she caught me staring I didn't hide it, instead I took the opportunity to invite her back to my place for dinner. Slowly warming up to me, she started rattling off about what we could make and all the things she needed to fetch from Jamie's.

She was like a tiny little kitten pretending to be a vicious lioness bossing me around my kitchen. To be honest, I wasn't listening to a single thing she said, her legs and shoulders and eyes were distracting me from being able to form a coherent thought other than 'hubba hubba' - I know. Not my finest hour, but damn have you seen her? 

Now here we are, three empty bottles of red wine, her head on my shoulder and credits rolling in the background.

Lex fell asleep somewhere around an hour ago and I've been contemplating what my next move should be. All I know is as much as I tried to avoid it - to avoid her and the complications that are inevitable, the fact still remains the same. The feelings I have for this girl are real and I want to be with her.

"Come on drunky, up you get. Let's get you to bed." I said while slowly prying her now limp body of my left side.

"Hmmm.. I'm not drunk," she shot up quickly, "Okay maybe a lil bit." She giggled and put her arms out for support. I took her hands and helped her off the couch. "But where though, are we walking back to my brother's?"

"Well, if it's okay with you I thought we'd just get you something to sleep in and you could use my bed - I'll sleep on the couch..?" My heartrate kicked up a couple notches as she sat on my bed. I took a moment to appreciate the sight in front of me, an image I'd spent many nights picturing while I was alone in a hotel somewhere. Fuck, she was so beautiful.

I got a long sweatshirt and some sweatpants out of my cupboard along with a fresh pair of socks. She stared at the pile of clothes for a moment before looking up at me through those long dark lashes "Danny.." She moaned

"Yes, darlin?" Fuck.me.

"Can I have that one?" I looked down to where she was pointing and realised she was referring to the shirt I was wearing. My smile grew as I slipped it off and watched her lust-filled eyes open wider at the sight of my bare chest. She wasn't making any of this easy, but the chase was fun.

"Thanks." Her cheeks were now red with embarrassment.

"Anytime sugar. You can use my ensuite to change, I'm just going to get a few things for the lounge."

I waited till she came out of the bathroom, tucked her in and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight my girl." The bedside lamp was out already so I couldn't see her face, but she hummed in response and I bet my next race result there was a fat smile on her face.

I needed to put some distance between us, believe me, I wanted nothing more but to climb in right next to her as we'd done before, but with my new realised feelings in the forefront of my mind and her in my shirt...in my bed I knew it wasn't a good idea and that I needed to be alone tonight so that I could think clearly.