Chapter 37 - Reassurance

ALEXIA POV

Jamie stood in my doorway with his eyes piercing into my skull with Daniel in his ear (still on the phone) I'm guessing not saying anything. "Alexia, what didn't you tell me?" I couldn't move, I couldn't blink, I couldn't even form a word so I just said.

"Huh?"

"Daniel said he saw you? Yeah, yeah it's chilled dude. I'll call you back now." He spoke first to me and then to Daniel as he ended the call.

"Uh, yeah I did - he was at the market and then mentioned the club. We had a drink together and then he left, sorry didn't think you needed to know everything." I rolled my eyes and walked towards the bathroom trying to act busy and get Jamie to leave me alone. I needed to speak to Daniel, like now.

"Oh yeah? Anything else happen?" He probed again. "Jamie get off my back please, your not dad so stop acting like it," I spat out and turned my back to him as I opened up my laptop. He got the hint and left after a few seconds. I fell back into my pillows and began to cry. Just then I got a text.

DANIEL

Hey Lex, everything okay?

How did he know? - Yeah I'm okay

DANIEL

What's going on?

- Can we meet, I need to get out of here.

DANIEL

I'll meet you downstairs, beautiful ;)

I got up and grabbed a jacket, not caring that I had my PJs on, I grabbed some sneakers and headed for the door. I needed to get out. I needed to see Daniel.

"I'm going for a walk," I shouted at Jamie before closing the front door and walking to the elevator. When I stepped out he was waiting for me in the lobby. 

I couldn't take the build-up of emotions running through me anymore so I made a beeline for his open arms. He rubbed my back for a few minutes and took my hand and led me out the door. We walked along the coastline and stopped and sat on a bench overlooking the harbour.

"What happened Lex?" He wrapped me in his arms and I pulled my feet up nesting into his side. "I don't know, I just got so worried when I had to tell Jamie about where I'd been that I decided to lie and then Ryan was in my head and I couldn't tell Jen then you called while I was talking to him and everything is just such a mess! I'm so sorry Daniel!" I burst into another set of tears. Internally beating myself up about this ridiculous fit I was having.

Thought we were done with the crying and the 'I'm always the victim' act.

"Babe, look at me, calm down, you're not making any sense, you're talking about me, Jennifer, Ryan and Jamie all at the same time. Slow it down, let's work through this together, okay. Now start from the beginning." He said calmly.

If anyone else had told me to 'calm down' I would have turned around and given them what for, but this was Daniel and nothing Daniel said or did affected me the way that it would with anyone else. I took a deep breath inhaling his intoxicating scent and let it wash over me like a purifying wave providing me with a new sense of air in my lungs.

As with any conversation with him, the words flew out of my mouth with a mind of their own, I told him about my talk with Jen and how I was reluctant to tell her anything about my mysterious man, how I did the same thing with Jamie - how I didn't know if he wanted anyone to know and then I told him about Ryan and his not so subtle voice that creeps in every time I doubt myself.

I didn't mean to tell him everything, but I knew I'd made the right decision when he just laughed and shook his head at me. 

"My dear girl, what are we going to do with you? I was actually calling your brother to see if we could meet so that I could tell him about us. This (he motioned at me head to toe) is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I didn't want to be sneaky and get anyone upset, especially not you, my girl." He leaned in and kissed my cheek.

I turned my head to catch his lips and found exactly what I was looking for, silence from all the noise. Comfort and sanity. I felt at home. I wanted him and he wanted me. "So pretty but so silly."

"Ey! Take that back you meanie." I wacked his shoulder with the back of my hand.

"No, I can't believe that after everything, you still went home and got yourself so worked up into thinking that I was just out to play you. Alexia, what do I have to do to show you that I'm serious about this? I'm serious about you. Fuck Lex, I think I -"

"I know, I'm sorry. I just felt overwhelmed and attacked, I guess looking at it now I could've handled it better, I was the only one acting strange."

"Silly," he corrected and stole a peck again.

Smiling like an idiot I relished in the time we had alone, his arm around my waist and my head on his shoulder as we walked back to the apartments. "So, I hate to break this up but my parents are back at the apartment waiting for me, I told them I needed to run to the shop quickly, but I think that one's going to be a bit hard to explain when I come up empty-handed." He laughed.

"Daniel! Are you freaking serious? Your parents are here and you left them to come see me? Are you crazy?" I was more than shocked I was confused, why would he do that?

"Because Lexi, you're important to me. I'd drop anything to be your shoulder to cry on and I'm glad I did because this was something we needed to talk about, but they're only here for two days so, can I take you out on Tuesday, like a real date?" He bit his lip waiting for a response but I was too caught up in the mystery of this man and how badly I wanted to be the one biting that lip of his.

"Huh?"

"I'll pick you up at 8 pm on Tuesday, wear something...nice," his eyes roamed every inch of my body making me feel the need to cover up. He closed the distance between us by pulling my hips towards him, while keeping a firm hand on the small of my back he pushed a stray piece of hair behind my ear, smiled and said: "I can't wait to show you off to the world."

With that, my heart fluttered and I pulled him in for a kiss. "Send my love to your folks kay."

"You could always come up with me, I know they'd be happy to see you."

"Just go silly boy, I'll kiss ya later."

Jamie was nowhere to be seen when I got back upstairs but I could see his light under the door, so I knocked and walked in. 

"I'm sorry for snapping, but you triggered me with your aggression towards the situation and I started spiralling. I should have never said that about you and dad. I feel awful." I crawled onto the bed beside him where he put down his book and opened his arms for me.

"I realise that now and I'm sorry that was my mistake. I shouldn't have been that nosey, I know it's none of my business." He offered in return, we rarely fight but when we do argue it bothers us both. I think we have a mutual understanding of the meaning of family and how no argument is worth staying salty over.

"I do know you're hiding something from me, but you'll tell me when you're ready, right?" I went stiff in his arms realising that I could still smell Daniel on me which meant he could probably smell Daniel on me or maybe that's just me being paranoid again.. Gahhh! can't I just switch my brain off?

"Yeah, I will," I smiled at him and slipped off the bed. "Well, I'm off to bed. Sleep well."

I was just falling into a deep sleep when my phone buzzed from under my pillow, but I didn't have the energy to check it and eventually, my brain switched off and allowed me to drift off... Tuesday come soon.

A/N: I'M BAAAACK!

For real this time, no more empty promises... Just wanted to say thank you for your continued love and support. Keep voting and commenting as always...

Love you guys C xxx