Chapter 39 - Something Brewing

To say we woke up with hangovers was an understatement. I got up from the tiny allotted corner of my bed and made my way to the kitchen for some much-needed caffeine. Nico and Egel were tangled together on the couch, Jen had taken up the rest of my bed and Jamie was in his room. I started clearing the mess on the counters and as I did the memories of what happened when the boys came back started replaying in my head.

Last night - 2AM

3 bottles of white, 2 of red and half a bottle of tequila down.

"And heeeeere's to our reau-lt bo-oys!" Egel hiccuped as we toasted to another ridiculous sentiment. "Cheer-wait what? Our boys?" Jen asked. "Don't worry, we'll find you one buttercup," I reassured her.

First, we heard chatter and the keys fumbling and then footsteps approaching. They're home..

Jamie must've smelt the coffee brewing from his room because I heard his toilet flush and then his door open. I couldn't bear to look him in the eye so I kept my back towards him as I poured him a mug. He spoke first. "Morning Alexia," oh fuck, he's angry... I slid over his coffee and turned back around. Luckily I had to add sugar to the girl's mugs, I stirred and stirred, but he wasn't having any of it. "So are we going to finish this... chat?"

The word came off harsher than normal, I'm pretty sure on purpose. I was so on edge that I dropped the teaspoon to the floor, which if you ever have, it makes a hell of a noise. Groans were heard from a sleepy Nico and I was pleased by the interruption. Nico stood fast with his eyebrows raised in question. "Fuck! Fine, let's go then," I snapped back.

"Coffee is on the counter," I shouted on-route my death march.

"Goodluck!" A chipper Egel yelled in support as I followed my brother to his bedroom.

Last night - 3:26AM

We were all seated around the dinner Nico and I had prepared, all in need of some nutrients by the looks of things. Egel's hiccups had disappeared and returned twice. Jen and I giggled like kids every time she gasped. "Guys, ser-ious-ly it's not fun-ny," she whined into Nicos side. "Ah, poor baby," he kissed her head, "But, I told you not to drink with these two." He gave Jen and I the evil eye. "Oh please! She's the instigator!" I said in our defence. It wasn't untrue, she was the one coming up with the silliest things to toast to. None of us stood a chance.

"My little crochet queen? Never."

I was stalling as long as I could, maybe I didn't have to tell them tonight, maybe the girls would forget? Or so I thought before Jen started, "So Jamie," she batted her eyelashes at him which would normally work except she was plastered and this time it came off looking like she had a twitch that alternated between them.

"Yes, Jenny love?" He winked back and even though she was flushed from the wine, her cheeks turned a darker shade. If you weren't her best friend you would've missed it, but I am and she saw that I had caught her and hid in her wine glass. "Alexia has something she wants to talk to you boys about," she all but spat out. My mouth hung in response as I narrowed my eyes.

"No boys please remain calm and let her explain." Egel tried to encourage, but of course, the next thing that came out of their mouths was anything but.

"I knew it! You're fucking pregnant aren't you!?" Jamie spat in my direction. "Lex! I thought we spoke about this, is it Charlie's?" Nico got up and started pacing behind the couches.

"For Fuck Sakes! I'm not pregnant for the last time! It's something else and I do need you both to let me explain okay."

The girls helped me reassure them and I downed my mostly full glass of wine and poured another in preparation. I don't know why I was so scared to tell him or which I was more scared about, his reaction to me dating another one of his friends or his reaction towards Daniel lying about spending time with me and going after his kid sister. Either way, this had to be done.