Chapter 28 - Cassandra

When I did look up I was greeted with a face full of blonde hair, the tall figure was leaning over my side of the table giving my brother a hug and crushed my poor toes as she stepped back to greet Nico.

"Nic! You're looking handsome as ever!" Her annoyingly melodic voice rang out as he stood up to pull her into a hug... a bear hug

I thought those were only reserved for me and who does she think she is getting all up in my face hugging my brother and flirting with Nico like that!? 

Too distracted in my thoughts and the vicious attack on my toes, I hadn't even noticed that his scent had gotten stronger.

"Lex..?" Instantly I was brought back to reality and ripped out of my mini rage. He was standing behind my chair staring down at me with one hand rested on my shoulder.

"Danny..." it came out sounding more like a breathe I didn't know I was holding, than a normal greeting, but I couldn't help it. The look in his eyes had indeed taken my breath away and held me captive. Then his mouth curled upwards into a brilliant smile and I found myself mimicking the small movement in response. He was about to say something else when a girl's voice interrupted him.

"Danny babes, come sit here" She patted the seat beside her - farthest from mine on the opposite side of the table.

I need a drink...

"You and me both," He said with a wink and he walked over to her... Oh fuck! I said that out loud again.. What is it with him and me not being able to control my brain filter... 

Don't answer that! *facepalm.

Nico must've caught the interaction between us cause he was snickering against his knuckles, giving me a knowing look. "What", I mouthed to him. "Nothing kid, nothing at all," he whispered, shaking his head. Ignoring that I looked across to Daniel and his "close friend" Cassandra. 

Finally getting a proper visual of the girl, I noticed her long dark blonde lashes - that were 'obviously' natural, her perfectly straight teeth and flawless skin. Who was she and why hadn't Daniel mentioned her before? How did she know Nico and my brother? Were they dating? Was this my introduction to Daniel's new girlfriend? Was she the reason he hasn't gotten hold of me in ages and been so distant at races?

She had captured the attention of all the guys as she gestured with her hand to Daniel's shirt, words had lost their meaning to me at this point as the questions I have screamed at me over and over again in my head. 

I need to get the fuck out of here, doubt they'll notice anyway. 

"Excuse me" barely audible to Nico who sat next to me as I stood up from the chair I pushed back. I grabbed my phone from the table and turned around, not bothering to answer the voices asking me where I was going as I walked into the bar area of the restaurant.

I let out a huge breath as I reached the bar counter and waited to be served.

DANIEL POV

"He insisted on getting this ridiculously patterned shirt instead of the one I spent almost an hour finding for him. He's always been stubborn." Cass told the guys about our visit to the street market in Nice yesterday. I looked up when I heard the metal groan against the wooden deck, Lex stood up and mumbled something before taking her phone and walking off towards the bar. I frowned at Nico who had asked her where she was going but hasn't gotten a reply either.

"Where is she going?" Jamie asked before the words could form on my tongue.

"Your guess is as good as mine, she just asked to be excused," he replied while holding his hands up defensively.

"Why's everyone so worried? She's probably gone to the loo," Cassandra piped in.

"I'll go check," Jamie said looking worried.

"Seriously? She's a big girl Jay. I'm sure she's fine," she said flipping her hair, a deep frown of misbelief etched into her brows. I put my hand over hers which grabbed her attention. 

"I'll go," I gave Jamie a reassuring look and stood up to head in the direction she had disappeared.

My phone buzzed in my pocket as I reached the bar, but I could tend to whatever that was later. This was more important, I scanned the area and found a surprisingly familiar set of stems. I took in every inch of skin with my eyes as I made my way up her thighs, lingering on the white hem of her dress I remembered how my hands hand once felt the smooth texture of the skin of her upper thighs. Snapping out of it as she accepted a drink from the bartender. Her posture, slouched.. and If I knew anything about the way she fiddled with the straw in her glass, it was that she had a lot on her mind.

My phone buzzed again, prompting me to have a quick glance at the screen.

2 New Messages - Cass

Why do you have to check on her?

Where are you? - Arrgh.. I can't deal with her now. I'll explain later

I walked towards her - cautiously. "Lex?"

Her head whipped around at the sound of her name. I, in turn, took a step back having had a few encounters with her clumsy yet, cute ways. I wanted to smile thinking about all the times I've saved her from breaking a bone of some sort, but the tear on her cheek stopped me and without thinking I swiped it from her face before it could fall any further.

She didn't say anything, but her eyes followed my hand as I rested my thumb under her ear. "Lex... what's going on?"

"What's going on?" She huffed out with a snide smirk, "Seriously? I could ask you the same thing."

"What are you talking about? Did I say something to upset you?" The hell is she going on about?

"Nothing Daniel, I'm sorry. It's your business I shouldn't have said anything. I'm just being stupid. I'm sure she's a nice girl, people grow apart. It's only natural, my mistake.."

"Woah there now, slow down Darlin! Who's a nice girl? What are you talking about?" I thought for a moment. Who... Cass!? "You talking about Cassandra?"

She was looking down as she replied "Yeah, I'm sorry. It's really not my business. I just really didn't expect.." I cut her off again.

"Wait - You think we're together!? No! No... Alexia, I've known Cassandra for years now. She has a holiday house in Monaco and had a few days to catch up before she left back to the US again. Her ex used to be a good mate of mine." I explained, maybe giving away too much information in my desperate attempt to convince her. The last thing I need is to give her the wrong idea.

Clearly a bit too late for that dickhead - she's crying for fuck's sake. I need to flip this situation around!

"Oh?" is it just me or did she have a manic mood switch there? I inwardly chuckled at her change in composture. "Yeah," I said simply, "You could have just asked me you know.." I poked her ribs, forcing a smile to form on her perfectly plump lips, which were swollen from her unforgiving teeth that would peel the dead skin when she was stressed.

"I'm a mess, Daniel. That was so childish of me. I'm sorry, I got this idea and it snowballed into this.. panic attack and I just needed to fucking breathe," She huffed out as I pulled her into my chest, squeezing her as close to me as I possibly could. 

It had been so fucking long since she had been this close to me so I took the opportunity to take in the way her hair smelt and the way her body felt, melted into mine.

"It's okay, time has a weird way of messing with a person's head, sometimes it's a good thing and then other times... not so much. You okay now?" I spoke into her neck as I felt her small hands adjust to gain more grip of my shirt. 

"I'm okay, thank you for pulling me out." Her hot breath fanned my shoulder as she spoke and I softly released my arms from around her. The air that replaced her was cold and immediately I regretted the way I had distanced myself from her these past few weeks. It wasn't fair on her and I now realise it did more damage than good to me too.