Chapter 24 - The Rain in Spain Pt 2

There was silence between us for a few minutes, we had finished a bottle and a half of red wine and I was starting to feel it's calming effects. 

"I'm sorry. I was wrong. I let my personal feelings get in the way without talking to you about it and in turn, took it out on you," he said now looking me square in the eyes. 

His feelings were right at the surface of his words and if he looked at me like that any longer I'd probably profess my feeling...  so I looked away.

"Yeah, you did take it out on me, in front of Alain Prost no less - What the fuck was up with that?" I asked now reminded of the scene he made in the garage.

"Is that why you pulled away from me? You thought I was laying our shit out in front of him?" He asked. Clarity now washing over him. If you looked closely you could see the two puzzle pieces fitting together in his head. Ha Ha! Okay that's mean, but he was first!

"That's exactly what you did though, making a not so subtle reference to Mike and me?" Turning into more of a question at the end.

"No! Well, maybe a little. I didn't mean for it to offend you, I was just making a joke and I clearly misread the situation so I'm sorry about that too." His head turned towards the calming waves.

"I hate fighting with you Daniel," I sighed, "it's been eating me up all weekend. I literally feel sick thinking about how shit it's been. Can we just make up, please? I don't want to remember this day by the way it ended." I said begging him to just let it all go. I wanted to get as far away from the Mike topic as possible.

"Yeah, okay... Can I ask you one thing though?"

"You know you can....  will you though?" I braced myself and then realised I wouldn't be able to lie to him if he asked me.

"Did you-"

"Don't!" so I stopped him. "Rather don't." I hoped that he would understand.

He nodded his head and didn't bring it up again and took another sip of wine. 

"So that was our first fight, huh?" He said knocking my shoulders with his.

"Yeah, and hopefully our last. I hated it!" Feeling a damn tear in my eye, I took a sip and looked away from him again.

"Nooooo! Lex man! Come hereeee!" He pulled me into his arms and stretched out on the cushions behind us. "Please don't cry, I wasn't a huge fan of it either and I hate to say this, but it's probably going to happen again. It doesn't mean our friendship is going to end. It just means that we're human and miscommunications happen." He said calmly while rubbing my upper back.

I, on the other hand, had now just accepted that crying was my new thing and chunked into his shirt, completely drenching the spot where my head was positioned. I blame the wine for what happened next...

"Don't leave me, Daniel. I couldn't take it," handfuls of his poor shirt in both my fists, I was clinging onto him for dear life and I couldn't stop it.

"I'm not going anywhere, okay."

"Please Daniel, don't," I couldn't control my words any more than I could stop the tears from leaking out of my eyes. Where was this shit coming from? I literally went from 0 - 60 in a matter of seconds.

"Hey...Lex?" He attempted to pull my chin up, but I shook my head not wanting him to see me. "Hey.." He tried again and I let him this time without opening my eyes I felt his thumb stroke my jawline. "Look at me, Lex!" I did. 

"Listen to me okay, I'm not going anywhere, ever. You're stuck with me."

His brown eyes were lit up like fire with the reflection of the candle lanterns that surrounded us. I wanted to look away from his eyes that were digging deeper and deeper into my soul the longer I stared, but I was physically unable to. He held me captive as he leant forward and his hand slipped around to the nape of my neck. I could taste his breath we were so close, but we were abruptly interrupted by a drunk local who started rapping an Eminem song from the pathway behind us, accent and all.