Iron winter: Part 5

Steve and tony had been on a trial run assignment. Coulson was still iffy about tonys procedure, and iffy about skulls connection being removed.

--- on assignment ---

"he doesnt trust me does he?"

"i dont know."

tony said, "incase this didnt work, steve i want you to know that i love you."

"it worked," steve stopped and placed his hands on tony's shoulders, "we've made it out of worse tony, and will make it out of this," steve leaned in and kissed tony, "i love you too."

the two entered into the HYDRA base, and immediatly took fire. Steve took point and managed to take out the first set of HYDRA soldiers. His efforts were useless. When skull walked everything stopped.

"You brought my tony back to me captain, thank you."

The red skull said a few words that Steve couldn't understand then dismissed the soldiers, "iron knight, kill captain america."

Tony grabbed his head then dropped to the floor and started to scream.

Steve yelled out, "fight this tony!"

Tony stopped screaming then slowly got up, "yes red skull."

Tony went after Steve and the two fought.

---

The skull started to grow impatient, "finish this!" tony sent his entire arsenal after Steve. Steve managed to dodge most of it, but one pierced Steve in his lower chest and ended in the wall behind him.

"i release you iron knight," tony dropped to the floor as the red skull and the hydra soldiers left.

---

steve dragged himself over to tony and took him into his arms. steve then took of tonys helmet. with tears in his eyes he watched as the man beneath him lay there lifeless.

"tony, tony please," steve placed his hand on tonys face then kissed him. Tony finnaly came to, "you came for me."

"always."

tony looked around and saw all the blood, "did I?"

"no. you're going to be just fine. I'm just glad i dont have to run Stark Industries anymore."

"you what!" tony sat up quickly.

steve smiled then grabbed his wound.

tony got up and looked around, "i dont remember getting here."

steve slowly started to lay down when tony turned back to him. tony yelled out, "steve!" as he got out od his armor and ran over to him and took him into his arms. Steve started to say in a low whisper, "do you remember all our bonding missions?" tony nodded his head then steve continued, "you were blond the first time i met you and you didnt love me back. the next time you were a brunette, and you did. After a while i gave up trying to guess if the color of your hair meant anything. Even when you dont exist i'm always in love with you. I rememer fondly those lifetimes where we got to grow up together. when you shared your secrets and sorrows and hiding places with me. You loved how I would play along with your bad ideas, before I grew up and realized they were bad ideas. And in our times together you had many bad ideas. When we met as aduults you were always much more discerning. I didn't blame you. Even then you would find away to forgive me. It was as if you understood what was going on and you were some how making up for it. But through all of the lifetimes in which one of us didnt exist, and the ones where we just, barely, never met... I hate those. I prefer the ones in which you kill me, "steve looked away from tony, and started to cough up blood, "But when it's all said and done, id rather surrender to you in other ways. Even though each time, i know i'll see you again and even then i still wonder is this the last time? but then i see you and i have to ask myself, is that really you? and what if you're perfectly happy without me? Ah, but i dont blame you; i'll never burn as brilliantly as you. I think it's only fair that i should be the one to chase you across ten, twenty-five, or even a hundred life times until i find the one where you return to me," steve looked back at tony, "I'm sorry," steve started to tear up, "I wish I could of seen that day come."