Christmas presents

i sat down and looked at the photo of him and me. I hadn't seen him in years. i dont know where id be with out that frekeled faced boy. Where would i be was a good question. He went off to war and i never saw him again. I loved him and I watched him leave. I watched him leave, and he never came back.
--- years later ---
i sat down in a small coffee shop a block from my house. I go by the shop so much that me and the barista are friends. She calls me cap, i call her cherry.
"hey cap, how are things? i haven't seen in you in a few days."
i said, "somedays just hit me harder than others."
"Cap, you know i'm here for you right?"
i nodded my head. she then placed my drink on the table, and placed her hand on my shoulder, "it's on the house today. a sort of pick me up. you've always been there when i need you. it's my turn to return the favor."
i smiled up at her. she returned the smile then left.
--- months later / walking through the streets of Manhattan / Christmas ---
i turned the street and looked up to see the giant A glowing in the night. i thought to myself what does a man who has everything do on Christmas? I zipped up my parca and kept walking. The snow hit my face and chilled me to the bone. It's been several years, i missed him.
i turned onto my street and started to sing, "when everyones talking, in the crowded halls. Please tell me someones listening. i cant bare to lose it all," i stopped in front of my home to see a man in uniform. He was knocking on the door. I said, "excuse me."
the man turned around. thats when i saw it was him. that frekeled faced boy i used to know. He hurried down the stairs and pulled me into his arms, "i missed you."
we kissed.
he said, "i want you to know. I was listening. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back home."
i asked, "where have you been?"
"my plane went down. when i woke up i was on a fishing boat. When i got back i came straight here."
i said, "you've grown."
he laughed as we walked inside.
---
"i under went a procedure after i was shot in the line of duty."
i asked, "is it perminant?"
"so far."
he kissed me again, "Its begining to look a lot like christmas."
i laughed, "and you are the best christmas present."
he wrapped his arms around me, "i think i can top your present," he got down on one knee, "i should of asked you this a long time ago. Its been to long and i had to ask you before i lost you all together. i love you and i made one mistake by not telling you after school. so, lily, will you do me the honor by making me the happiest man in the world? marry me?"
i nodded my head, "this, and you, are all i'd ever ask for. yes. A million times yes."