Chapter thirty-seven: father daddy moment

Charles POV

I was sitting on my desk, reading a fifty-page contract regarding our plans for our next investment. Caleb Hale was sitting on the other side of the table, an old friend of mine. His law firm had just become one of the biggest in Europe according to 'The business magazine'.

I could tell he wasn't in his right frame of mind and neither was I.

"Are you alright?" I asked with one eyebrow raised.

He shook his head quickly as if he was awakening from a nightmare.

"Sorry-I wasn't paying attention, can you say again," He said, still looking deep into thoughts.

"I asked if you were alright,"

"Yeah, I'm fine," He said, for a moment he looked like he was staring into space again. "Women," he muttered.

"If you would like, we can have this meeting again on another day, when we are both in the right frame of mind," I suggested.

"Sure, that would be greatly appreciated." He said giving me half a smile.

He stood up from his seat then nod in my direction as if to say farewell. "We should talk sometime," he said before leaving.

I took my laptop then placed it on my desk to look at the construction plan for our new hotel. We should be done with the building in six months. Lately, I've been drowning myself in my work. It keeps me distracted and that's exactly what I need know. Considering working is the only thing I'm good at.

Mara, my PA walked in with a bunch of folders in her hands.

"I thought I told you to knock, next time you walk in without knocking I'm sending you home," I said coldly.

"Great, less work for me plus a well-deserved off-day." She said sarcastically.

I looked up from my laptop then spoke, "What do you want?"

"Your father called, he said he wanted to talk to you and that he has been trying to call you."

"Tell him to go away, I don't have the time," I said looking down at my laptop

I looked at my phone and saw fifty-three missed calls from an unknown number. Must have been him, I didn't bother saving his number the last time.

"He's been calling for the past two weeks don't you think it's time you talk to him."

"As I said, I don't have the time. You can go now," I dismissed her.

She walked closer to my desk then dropped the pile of files she had in her hands on my desk making a 'bang!' sound. I looked up with a questioning look on my face. "These need your attention." She said.

I took a breath of exhaustion then leaned into my chair.

"It's not like you were doing anything for the past seven months, right?" She said sarcastically before walking out.

******

I looked at my watch to see that it was already 2 p.m. Lunchtime had already passed and I hadn't noticed. I still had a few more files to read over. The more I read the more discouraged I was to continue.

I took a glance at a file I had asked a private investigator to bring regarding Elizabeth's whereabouts and she was still living in her grandmother's apartment.

I heard a soft knock on the door. I yelled "Come in," before Mara walked in.

"More files?" I said sarcastically.