Chapter forty-two: When life gives you lemons

Elizabeth's POV

"How is my baby doctor," I said stroking my belly gently, my head rested on the pillow.

I was in a hospital bed, for my monthly check-up. Six months had already gone by.

I never heard from Charles again nor have I seen him. I part of me wish things were different especially knowing I'm the reason my child is going to grow up without a father.

For some reason, Nick's been very supportive of my pregnancy. I've got a room full of baby clothes and toys. He has been to all my past doctors' appointments but I insisted he remained outside (didn't want to make things more awkward).

The doctor remained quiet for a while, his eyes fixed on a folder in front of him. I even noticed that he kept adjusting his glasses as if he was looking for a position that would help him see better. Suddenly, his eyes widen in shock as if he had just been given a death sentence.

"Is my baby alright?" I asked sitting up straight.

He looked at me for a second then shook his head as if he was trying to shake a thought out.

"I'll be back in a moment," He said before rushing out.

I needed to be calm, his actions were making me very nervous. Could something be wrong with the baby? I took my phone out of my purse. I had two messages, one was from Erik and the other from Nick.

Erik was still very awkward about the subject of my pregnancy. It was like explaining to a ten-year-old. Once during a visit, he nearly jumped out of his seat after he saw a foot on my belly.
Nick, on the other hand, I wish he would just back off a little, sometimes I wonder if he has a life.

The doctor walked back accompanied by another doctor. His face looked more relaxed.

"What is it doctor, is something wrong?" I asked.

"It's nothing serious ma'am but can get very serious if not dealt with appropriately." He said. "Your cervix is weakening, we are still trying to figure out the reason, considering in your medical history you have not had any past injuries. This may cause may have a miscarriage." He continued, it took me a minute to process what he had just said. I couldn't handle losing a child, not after six months.

"Please avoid contaminated foods." The one doctor said.
"Do you have anyone who can look after you?"

"No," I said shaking my head. "I don't, I have no one."

_____________________

I was sitting on the bench waiting for my flight back home. In twenty minutes my flight would depart.

Like in any other story, just when you feel your life is going great, something bad happens.

Since my father was the one paying for all my doctors' appointments that meant he was notified of my health. As soon as he was informed he called me and insisted that I returned home, where my 'loved' ones can look after me and incase anything was to happen to me, he didn't want me to be alone. The way he said it, it was as if I was dying of cancer.

I listened as they announced the platform for my flight.

_____________________

I dragged my feet towards the exit, my suitcase following behind me. My father was waiting near the exit with a huge smile on his face.

"Welcome home," He said pulling me into a hug, I broke into tears in his embrace.

After a while, we finally moved to the car. He insisted that we go home, where he and mom could keep an eye on me.