28

Narrator's POV

Colby and Rebecca drive to his Mom's house. The girls bound out of the house with Holly trying to keep up but they are two five year olds and well Holly is far from five.

Colby's POV

"Thanks again Mom," I said as the girls climb into the back seat of the Pilot.
" No problem they were perfect angels, "my Mom said leaning down onto the frame of the door "Hi Rebecca."
"Hi Holly," said Rebecca "Thanks for taking Melody Quin for the night."
" Like I said to Colby both girls were perfect angels, "my Mom said "Bye girls."
" Bye Grandma, "they both said in unison.
My Mom as well as Rebecca and I all look at Melody Quin shocked.
" Did I do something wrong? "asks Melody Quin.
" No, "said Rebecca "But why did you call Holly Grandma?"
"I don't get to see Gammy Quin because she lives in Ireland and my other Gammy hates me," said Melody Quin.
That made my Mom break she goes to Melody Quin's side of the Pilot opens the door and unbuckles her car seat and pulls her out of the car with tears flowing down her face.
"Melody Quin you can call me Grandma, Gammy , Mimi anything you want!!," my Mom said "I will always be here for you sweetie."
Rebecca gets out and joined in on the hug.
"Daddy do you think we should?"
" Way ahead of you Harmony, "I said getting out and taking Harmony out of the car "Can we join?"
Mom opens her arms and pulls Harmony and I into the group hug.
Now if people drove by and saw us they would have thought one of two things either A:What a sweet moment or B:Those people have lost their damn minds.
Mom sets Melody Quin back on her feet.
"So is it ok Mr.Colby if I call your Mommy Grandma?"
" Of course it is," I said "What do you think Harm?"
Harmony nods excited "Well then it is settled Mom met your new Granddaughter Melody Quin Holtz."
" No, "said Melody Quin.
" No? " I said "But that is your name."
" I don't like it. I would rather be called Melody Quin Lopez," said Melody Quin matter of factly looking up at me with the same eyes her Mother has.
"I," I said looking at Rebecca who just stands there stunned.
Rebecca finally snapped out of her shock.
"Now Melody Quin," said Rebecca as my Mom backed up and left "I think you have a perfectly good name."
" No I don't, "said Melody Quin "My actual Daddy hates me so why would I want his last name as mine?"
Rebecca looks up at me hoping I had a clue what to say. I shrug.

Rebecca's POV

Thanks Babe you're a lot of help I thought.
"Melody Quin sweetheart," I said rubbing her shoulders.
"I want Colby to be my Daddy," said Melody Quin.
"Well Honey it isn't that simple," I said.
"Of course it is!" said Melody Quin "Colby and you get married!!!"
" I uhhhhh, " I said looking up at Colby.
Colby takes a knee and turns Melody Quin to him.
"Now Melody Quin," he said gently "What brought this on?"
" Delilah Griffin. "
"What did Delilah say to you?" I ask .
"Delilah told me that I didn't have a Daddy so I shouldn't have his last name," said Melody Quin looking at me with tears streaming down her face "So I figured if Colby and you got married. I would have a Daddy and could have his last name."
My heart shattered into a million pieces as I took my crying daughter into my arms. Colby wraps his arms around both of us and Harmony wraps her small arms around us too.
We stayed like this for a few minutes and Holly came over and took the girls back to the house for some hot cocoa giving Colby and I a chance to talk.
As we stand Colby leans against his Pilot and I bury my face into his chest and I let the tears flow.

Colby's POV

I rub Rebecca's back as she is crying. I hold back tears of my own from hearing the reasons behind Melody Quin wanting to become my daughter.
"Bex?" I finally said after ten minutes of silence except the sounds of her crying.
"Yeah," she said pulling back from me her eyes are red and puffy.
"Come on dry those eyes," I said wiping away tears from her cheeks.
"It is so unfair to Melody Quin," she said "One of the only few kids in her class that doesn't have two parents."
" Same thing with Harm, "I said "No wonder our girls were so drawn together."
Rebecca nods "It's got to be even harder for Harmony. At least for Melody Quin"
I cut Rebecca off with a kiss because I know what she is going to say.
"Rebecca marry me!" I said.
Rebecca starts laughing "Good one."
"Rebecca I'm serious. Marry me!!! "
She looks at me and she connects our  lips "Yes Colby! Yes I will marry you!!!"
I pull her back "Yes?!You said yes?!"
She nods as we connect our lips again. I pick her up and spin her around.

Narrator's POV

Colby and Rebecca go into Holly's house and announced their engagement. Sending both of their daughters into a screaming match of "Yippies" and "Yahoos."