Chapter 1 - A Fateful Day

"Are you coming or what, (Y/N)?" your friend yelled as they walked backwards down the beach. "Yeah, yeah just a second."

You and one of your college friends had been relaxing all day, since you both just got done with a really big project. You both spent the day walking around your city eating and shopping all day. Well, your friend was shopping, you were mostly there to just give your opinion.

To end this day, you just wanted to go to the shoreline for just a moment. Your friend objected, since you are Marine Biology students and you just spent 3 weeks back and forth here for your school project, but you didn't care.

You grabbed your small, one shoulder backpack and followed your friend down the shoreline. There was nothing really in it other than food and a small first-aid kit, just in case an animal needed help in some way.

"Hurry up!" your friend yelled at you once again. "I'm coming, calm yourself!" You said as you caught up with your friend.

You continued to walk down the shoreline, talking amongst your friend about your projects and general life. "Hey I've got an idea."

"What? You better not be thinking about going to those tide pools again."

"Why not? It's not as bad as our professor put it as."

You gave your friend the best puppy dog eyes as you could. They rolled their eyes. "You know what? If you want to go there, then at least I know where to look when you don't come back. You can go, but I'm not, the smell of the salt water is making me sick now."

You sighed. "Fine. And I'll be fine."

"I hope so. See you in class on Monday." They waved goodbye, as they turned around and headed back down the beach towards where they parked.

You continued walking. It wasn't that bad. It's just tide pools. And you've been there before and there wasn't anything unusual about it. You found a lot a new tide pool creatures.

You came to the familiar rocky wall with several washed out tunnels. You walked through the biggest one that led you to the other side.

There was another rock wall that blocked out the waves, only shorter and it didn't have the same holes like the bigger one did. And the other lead up to a fairly tall cliff edge.

You kept walking down the rocky passage way, which lead to another rock about the same height as the rock wall that kept the waves out. But it wasn't a problem. You've walked over it before.

What was new this time, was what you saw on the other side when reaching the top. Your eyes widened while looking upon the figure lying unconscious down on the sand. You couldn't even believe what you saw.

Was that...a Mermaid?