Chapter 32 - Close Call

After Jin had left, you needed to work on a different part of your project. You went to the shoreline and find more sand crabs and then walked down the beach. 

You ended up at the rocky shoreline where you originally met Taehyung. And Hongjoong. You really shouldn’t be here, but you needed to for your project. You just made sure to keep and extra lookout for them. 

You walked down the rocks barefoot, being careful not to hurt yourself or slip. You took a few more careful steps before hearing a familiar splashing approaching. 

You looked out to the water to see Jimin’s familiar face and deep purple tail. Oh god, here we go.

“Good morning, princess,” he stated. “What are you up to?”

“Working on a school project. What about you, what are doing here?”

“I heard that Jin came back from visiting you so I snuck out so I could see you too.”

“Any other reason?” Hey, if he can flirt with you, what’s the harm in doing it back? He cocked his head to the side, not really expecting for you the play along.

“What’s the harm in just wanting to admire something beautiful for a little while?”

“Nothing, just curious.” You looked down and smiled to yourself. “So what have you been up to lately?” You decided to just take a small break and actually talk to Jimin, so you sat down on a some-what taller rock that stood a few feet from the surface.

“Nothing really, there’s actually not a lot to do as a mermaid. I’ll be honest, I don’t know what’d I’d do without the others.”

He stayed in the shallow water just below you, not making eye contact. His whole demeanor changed from flirty to a softer side of him.

“Yeah. Speaking of which, a few of the others told me how they became mermaids. What happened to you?” You stated gently.

He let out a deep breath, but before he could begin there was an unfamiliar voice coming from a little ways away. You looked in that direction, barley able to make out 2 figures. 

You could only really make out purple and blonde hair and similar matching outfits before Jimin whisper yelled to you.

“Get down, now! But quietly!” He looked at you with a serious worried expression. You haven’t seen that side of him. Still shocked by his reaction, you carefully lower yourself into the water as Jimin pulled you down lower. 

He wrapped his protectively around you and kept you both close to the rock. Out of instinct, you rested your head on his shoulder and wrapped your arms around his shoulders. 

“Try to say quiet.” He whispered to you. You nodded, head still pressed against him. You both sat in the water and waited. You could just barely hear sandy footsteps walking by.

As they got closer, you heard them stop abruptly. Anxiety filled you as they stay silent and seconds lingered. 

“Why’d you stop?” you heard a high pitched male voice ask. 

“Swore I heard the girl.” a deeper voice responded back. 

You tensed. 

Pirates.

Your breathing got unsteady. Jimin felt you tense and held you tighter. He pressed his hand against your head, holder you closer to him.

“It’s okay. Stay calm,” he whispered.

A few more seconds passed before you heard them again.

“Might have just been me.” The deeper voice said. 

They sandy footsteps started again. They got farther away and you looked back to just the back of their purple and blonde-haired heads. Now that you could actually see them you could make out the similar aspects on them as the other pirates. 

You and Jimin watched them until they were out of sight before let out the breath you didn’t realize you were holding in. Jimin’s grip loosened on you. 

“We should get you back to the beach house, It’s getting late anyway.” You nodded in agreement. You stood up and walked but onto the shoreline. 

In silence, you both made your way to the beach house. Once you got there, you were about the walk inside before Jimin spoke up.

“Wait, tomorrow night, wait outside the back door. I want to show you something.” He smiled genuinely at you. You smiled back before walking inside.